Tube Amp: Advice Needed

s2artist

This weekend, more precisely about 46 hours from now, I will fulfill a dream and purchase a pair of Cornwalls thanks to some great members of the Klipsch community. My next purchase will be a vacuum tube amp and as I research them online I am finding the price chasm between what is out there is extreme to say the least, starting with the model I am attaching a link to on one end, to thousands of dollars on the other. Does anyone know anything about this product and/or company?

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5735462#

Guest davidness

Link

Hope you find some info/answers on the amp you're asking about.

Now, it was inevitable, the first of the many to come alternate suggestions. Spend a little extra and get a known excellent amp for the price; the Bob Latino ST-70 or ST-120 amp, based on the original and best selling Dynaco ST-70 amp. And better yet, buy the do-it-yourself kit and come away from the transaction not only having a great tube amp, but a much better idea of how they work.

I agree with davidness, I'm not familiar with the ecrater amp you linked but something is fishy about that posting. There is no way that amp is 169 bucks. Something is wrong with that. Anyway, it will cost you more money to run tubes both in initial cost and with maintenance (expendable tubes). It's really not for the average beginner. I run 4 complete tube systems and think that's the only way to go but it's not the best move for a beginner.

If you are a handy do it yourself-er, davidness recommendation is good or you could go with one of the name brand integrateds, these are in the 500-2500 dollar range for new but there are very few at the lower cost point. Good luck.

Thanx, Russ

This weekend, more precisely about 46 hours from now, I will fulfill a dream and purchase a pair of Cornwalls thanks to some great members of the Klipsch community. My next purchase will be a vacuum tube amp and as I research them online I am finding the price chasm between what is out there is extreme to say the least, starting with the model I am attaching a link to on one end, to thousands of dollars on the other. Does anyone know anything about this product and/or company?

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5735462#

Yeah, if your getting this............

4ae00e4ca8edc_111597b.jpg

for $169, there is something very wrong with this deal.

.....and I don't think I've seen a "Tube Amp" with a DVD/AUX button before?

BTW, Welcome to the forum! We've glad you're here.

There is a wealth of information here, stick around and keep us posted.

Dennie

First off - I'd suggest you get your Cornwalls and enjoy them for a while. Break them in and get used to them, then look for an amp.

I've never heard of eCrater, and I do a lot of poking around all over the place at amps and speakers and audio stuff in general. Actually I'm not sure if that ad is not some sort of hoax or something. I say that because of the eCrater name, the vague description (no mention of what tubes it has in it), and where it says "Single-output power up to 35W, max 120W equivalent of transistor" What does that even mean??

FYI - The eCrater in the ad appears to be a hybrid amp - An amp with a tube input stage and a transistor (solid state) power output stage. Nothing wrong with that configuration necessarily, just something to be aware of as you look for other amps. Many people say they give the best of both worlds because they give the warm sound of tubes without the fuss of the maintenance of power output tubes. Input tubes are chaep and last many years. Power tubes are more expensive, need to be biased a few times a year or so, and last for 1 year? 5 years? Depends on the amp and how much you play it.

Others say the power tubes in a true power amp are what make it a tube amp so might not prefer a hybrid amp.

The price variation in tube amps is probably not too much different than other amps. You can find cheap ones or amps for many thousand dollars.

What's your budget? Many people here recommend vintage Scotts and similar.