Integra DHC 9.9 vs Pair of monoblocks(probably xpa1) vs upgrading my xovers to DeanG?

maseline_98

I told myself I was going to do one of the three things when I got my income tax check, but I haven't decided which. I thnk they would all increase my audio experience, but the question is: which would be the best for my purposes. I'm probably about 85/15 movies/music.I've been debating for about a year now to get my xovers upgraded, but there is always something that comes up and I never actually did it.

My Setup:

HK AVR630

Emotiva XPA-5

Panny bd-55k(hooked up via analog for lossless sound)

Klipsch RF-7s, RC-7, RS-7

SVS 20-39PC+ 12.3

I would make changes based on what I think would make the most audible difference. I'd most likely get the mono-blocks last. You already have outboard amplification and the amp swap most likely won't have an audible difference untill you hit 10 tenths on the volume dial. That leaves Deans upgrades and the pre-pro. As good as Deans crossovers are (I have them and highly recomend them) I would think that the Room EQ (Audyssey) would give you the largest positive change in sound. Your room has a tremendous amount to do with what you hear, arguably more than anything else. Adressing the speakers interaction with your room (the Integra) is the direction I'd head first.

I don't think the move from an XPA-5 to XPA-1 monoblocks will yield a huge increase in performance. Obviously the XPA-1s are incredible amps, but so is your XPA-5.

I would start by having Dean modify your crossover or ordering the parts from him and doing it yourself. I'd do the RF-7s and the RC-7. Then I would give at least a few days if not a week or more to get used to how your speakers sound with the changes.

Once you've done that, a dedicated pre-amp would probably give you the most return on your investment. Are you interested in the Emotiva UMC-1 at all?

I don't think the move from an XPA-5 to XPA-1 monoblocks will yield a huge increase in performance. Obviously the XPA-1s are incredible amps, but so is your XPA-5.

I would start by having Dean modify your crossover or ordering the parts from him and doing it yourself. I'd do the RF-7s and the RC-7. Then I would give at least a few days if not a week or more to get used to how your speakers sound with the changes.

Once you've done that, a dedicated pre-amp would probably give you the most return on your investment. Are you interested in the Emotiva UMC-1 at all?

If I was going to do the xovers, I would do all three of the front stage. As far as the UMC-1, I'm actually on the pre-order list, but with all the setbacks and whatnot, I can't get passed it. Plus, one thing that was turning me off of it was the direct source selection. I think emotiva dropped the ball on that one. The integra is without problems(or handshake issues). Maybe emotiva will have things fixed for the XMC-1, but I will probably have a solution by then...

This one is an easy one. IMHO, get the DHC 9.9 first. As much as you watch movies, there is no other option. The DHC decoding of the new formats is better than the panny decoding sent to analog. I know, I have the Panny and the DHC. Then, get the crossover upgrades. Those will be well worth the cost in sound improvement. The amps I don't think will have the impact the other two changes will make.

Good luck and enjoy the upgrades whichever way you go. BTW, the DHC Audyssey will fix many of whatever room acoustic problems you have....even if you don't know you have them.

This one is an easy one. IMHO, get the DHC 9.9 first. As much as you watch movies, there is no other option. The DHC decoding of the new formats is better than the panny decoding sent to analog. I know, I have the Panny and the DHC. Then, get the crossover upgrades. Those will be well worth the cost in sound improvement. The amps I don't think will have the impact the other two changes will make.

Good luck and enjoy the upgrades whichever way you go. BTW, the DHC Audyssey will fix many of whatever room acoustic problems you have....even if you don't know you have them.

The Audyssey was another reason why I was considering this over the emotiva.

I never thougth I would use Audyssey. I figures like all other over rated gadgets is was B.S. I used the DHC for a while without running Audyssey and one day decided to try it and see what it would sound like. Bottom line, I no longer listen to anything without it.

I never thougth I would use Audyssey. I figures like all other over rated gadgets is was B.S. I used the DHC for a while without running Audyssey and one day decided to try it and see what it would sound like. Bottom line, I no longer listen to anything without it.

Bold statements.....I didn't think it would make that much difference, but I guess it does....Thanks for the input...

Audyssey and Anthem's Room Correction software basically take the room out of the equation so all you hear is the speakers. If you've never heard what they can do, you're in for a treat. It's amazing that they can benefit more than one seating position.

Audyssey and Anthem's Room Correction software basically take the room out of the equation so all you hear is the speakers. If you've never heard what they can do, you're in for a treat. It's amazing that they can benefit more than one seating position.

Nice...I wonder how emotiva's EmoQ stands up to Audyssey....

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I decided to go with the DeanG networks....I'm going to be sending them out tomorrow. I'm also on the preorder list for the UMC-1 and it's supposed to be shipping on 3/24, but I think I'm going to save my $700 and put it towards the Integra or the XMC-1.....besides...my HK-AVR630 lets me do processing with the analog connections...it's suffixed so far and I can wait a little longer I guess...