Well I managed to resist for about 2 days....

maxg

Until I found the Pro-ject audio products that are semi audiophile and very reasonable. Then we found a dealer who would (do a deal that is) and the rest is history:

rpm4v.jpg

The details are on http://www.e-dizain.de/project/en/rpm4.html

I got it with a slightly better tone arm as well

12cv.jpg

Oh yes - and a phono stage : http://www.e-dizain.de/project/en/phonobox.html

Not bad for a single lunchtime. We even got them to set the whole thing up (balance the arm and such - and then tape it all down for transport).

It is sitting next to me in the office as I type and begging to be taken home.

Patience patience....tum te tum te....I bought some vinyl too:

Tacet Franz Schubert - The Auryn Series Vol VIII

Phoenix Edition JS Bach - 3 disc set - in german (not actually sure what it is yet) - Weihnachtsoratorium(?)

Rosini's Barber of Seville - Phoenix Edition

Dvorak String quartet opus 77 - Phoenix Edition

Ravel's Prokofiev - Phoenix Edition

I probably ought to know what the phoenix edition is - but I dont - ah well - it is all a learning curve after all.

Finally I also got a record cleaning brush from clearaudio.

Do not ask me what all this cost - I lost it somewhere around the point we moved from the project debut to the project 2 and then on to the 4.

Ultimately I chose the 4 as much as anything because of its small footprint.

I think that this is a good product. I was with an audiophile friend and he reckoned it was such a good deal he bought all the above too (with different records of course).

I'll let you all know how this sounds come tuesday (Monday is a bank holiday).

Cheers all

That is a great looking TT maxg, congratulations!

I ended up buying a MMF5 to give vinyl a "spin" so to speak but I still need to find some kind of phono stage to see what my beginner TT sounds like on my basement system.

I am looking forward to your review of the Pro-ject!

Well thank you all for your well wishes and such. Nice to see the Athens audiophiles are watching...LOL

Anyway - just a quick update. Listened till 2 am and love it! Got up this morning at 9 and went shopping.

New vinyl is only 6 euros in my local shopping centre (that is about $5.40) for an album and double that for a double album (logically enough).

I think I got a bit carried away. Aside from the 5 audiophile titles I picked up yesterday I picked up a few non-audiophile titles this morning - well OK - I picked up 70 titles and nearly gave myself a hernia carying them to the car!

I now have more LP's than SACD's - there is so much here I dont even know where to start.

Not only that but my brother in law has vinyl and wants CD's. He is going to bring over what he has and I will either straight swap it for the equivalent CD or record it for him and give him the copy.

I have other offers of vinyl (since last night) approaching 500 titles. I had no idea this stuff was so plentiful and so cheap.

The shop I bought half of today's wears from has apparently got 30,000 more titles in another shop which he is closing and slowly bringing over to this place. We have agreed for me to go back in a week.

If I work at it I believe I could have an almost infinite number of records by the end of the month...cant do that with SACD.

Note : The total cost of my records bought today is 1/6th of the SACD's!!

This is what I call a win win!!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

maxg,

gee, I envy you. Somehow I can't get hold of any vinyl record for a decent price. My local hifi shop (actually gardly my shop anymore as I feel rather settled when it comes to equipment-and I don't like the way this shop is going anyway!) sells new vinyl releases for around EUR 30 (which is far too costly if I can get the same recording on CD for EUR 10-15) and used records are hardly ever classical. So feel lucky that you have hit this shop of yours!

Wolfram

------------------

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp (utilizing 300B tubes)

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63 (for sale)

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29