Car Audio for a Klipsch Buff ???

speedbump

Hi guys,

I'm finally getting around to doing something about the pathetic system in my '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I am leaning heavily towards Diamond Audio M561/M551 components set up in a 3-way config, with an Audiobahn amplifier, and a JL Audio Stealthbox sub powered by an old Power Acoustik 120W.

Here's the thing. You guys know the sound I like, and you are at this bulletin board because of it Smile.gif The selection of gear in my little section of the world is limited to what is at Circuit City, HH Gregg, or online. I heard the Diamonds before moving here, and they have been my car audio reference. I have not been into Car Audio since I bought a house and got the HT bug. As fast as companies are merged, bought and sold in this sector I want to be sure I'm not buying Kraco or Sparkomatic with a previously high end nametag.

I am looking to build a system with a more refined sound, not a boomy Limp Bizkit kind of setup (even though it might find it's way in there sometimes). I listen mainly to Rock (Tool, Soundgarden, NIN, Creed, that kind of stuff) but I listen to Classical (Tchaikovski, Bach, Grieg) when I'm on a long haul to keep the mind mellow.....

Any advice is very much appreciated. I know Boston Acoustics and MB Quart make good stuff, but I seem to remember liking the Diamond sound better than either one.

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

No ideas?? Even from the younger guys? OK, OK I'll put 5W tube amps and big Altec horns in the back Smile.gif

Please help me, I'm researching it myself and that usually ends up costing me a lot of money. Good middle of the road, sane ideas are needed.

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

Hello Speed.

I am not young, sometimes not sane, but I have had some experience with car audio upgrades. I would advise that you try to find some reputable car audio speciality shops if possible. If you are having it installed, they will probably not do as much damage as a place like Circuit City. I also feel that these shops will be able to point you in the right direction concerning what goes good with what. Auditioning this stuff is at least as hard & probably harder than home stereo. It can be a real guessing game for sure.

My present system was done in 1998 and I still grin every time I play it. It is in a Dodge quad cab. Speakers are what was top of the line Polk Audio. 6 1/2 inch front door, 5 1/2 inch rear door. Both are coaxial & fit in the factory mounting places. Two 10 inch Polk subs mounted in an MTX enclosure under the rear seat. This enclosure is designed for this vehicle & is sorta like the JL Audio stuff.

The front & rear speakers are powered by a Pioneer 40w x 4 amp. The subs powered by a Pioneer 50w x 2 amp. Those are mounted under the drivers seat. The head unit is a middle of the line Pioneer cd player. It is oversized to fit the large dash opening in the dodge truck. Also a 12 pak cd player under the passenger seat.

This system totally smokes any factory system that I have ever heard. I have the bass toned down so it is not boomy. The sound is very detailed. I guess you could say it has good imaging & soundstage, but since it is in a truck I really have to say it is like you are sitting on stage. It impresses the hell out of everyone who hears it. It proves that you just do not need mega watts for a satisfactory car audio system. I liked it so much that I put a very similar system in my boat.

This system cost between $2000 - 2200 installed. I did buy some of the stuff on closeout sale.

I am not familiar with the Diamond or MB Quart brands so can't comment on those. They might blow away my stuff for all I know. I have heard some Boston stuff & did not like it as well as the Polks. They were powered by lower quality amps so maybe that is not fair.

You will not find anything to compare with your fine home system that will fit in your Jeep. However with some careful shopping you can get a system that you will enjoy a whole lot more than any factory stereo.

Jethro.......

------------------