Heresy III demo

jt08

hi all, my first post here and im really interested in listening to the Heresy III for a possible purchase. the dilemma is no retail shops in my area carry the Heresy III's, which is Los Angeles. hard to believe, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to have a listen. a huge thanks.

Welcome Jt08,

Let me first welcome you to the forum. Second let me say, that if you have the slightest interest in H3s, there are some new custom lacewood H3s on e-bay for 1099, just go buy them. The fellow had about 10 pairs so I don't know how many he has left. That's a mega deal, that's about half the cost of my custom H3s.

What gear do you have to drive them (anything will work)?

Thanx, Russ

Thanks Russ for the quick response on the H3s. i checked ebay, but im partial to the walnut.

nevertheless, i probably would have jumped on them with the great price. for the gear.... im only running

an old nakamichi receiver, which im borrowing. im also looking into a new power supply too, but

im just trying to nail down the speaker. i really like the cornwall III, but there a large for my home.

so all in all, i want to hear the H3's and make sure its got warmth and bass im looking for.

i'll probably look into a sub too, if the bass isn't enough, which may be the case after all ive read

the H3's. my gut is telling me to just buy them online and go for it, but im gonna try and listen first.

thanks again.

Welcome.

Always best going into a Heresy purchase thinking they are bass shy. You will always end up pleasantly surprised.

Lacewood is beautiful and probably better for resale (if that's an eventual issue when you finally get those cornwalls) but go with what matches your furniture or taste. You won't be disappointed with the sound.

Also, think long and hard about passing on the cornwalls. They sound pretty darn good in a small room and no sub needed!

The Heresys are very neutral, they can sound warm but only with the right gear. You may very well need a listen first. If you are looking for a warm sound you might try a Vandersteen. The H3 with the right tube or SS gear can sound very good and they don't need much power, with the wrong gear they will loose any warmth they might have.

Thanx, Russ

It would be great if you could connect with a forum member who has HIIIs in the L.A. area, so you could have a listen.Much better than listening in a store that doesn't have them set up right.

I have HIIs, and from what folks on here have said, the HIIIs are incredible. They are most of a Khorn in a small box.

Welcome to the forum,

Bruce

The Heresys are very neutral, they can sound warm but only with the right gear. You may very well need a listen first. If you are looking for a warm sound you might try a Vandersteen. The H3 with the right tube or SS gear can sound very good and they don't need much power, with the wrong gear they will loose any warmth they might have.

Thanx, Russ

Excellent point Russ. I almost said it myself.

Klipsch (particularly Heritage) are not known for their warmth. Like most horn speakers, they have a live, dynamic sound that fill the room and sound great with tube gear or good quality SS. If you're a tube & vinyl fan, you will love them.

You really should try to audition a pair if you can. I'm sure 1s or 2s would be adequate for your purposes.

well thank you everyone for your insights. im almost sure the H3's will meet my needs,

but i will try and find somewhere to audition the speakers. presently i have a pair of mid-80's

epicure Magnus A12 running from an 75 watt harmon kardon, which sounds alright, but

find it time to upgrade after 25 years. i thought i would like the infamous B&W speakers

with the rotel avr, but they sound really bright to me. so im coming to the conclusion i like

more bass that fills the room. im still learning alot, so im on my way. thanks again.

Make your way North and you can find the whole Heritage line in Santa Rosa (Sonoma County), at Soundscape. You can do some mighty fine wine tasting in this neck o' the woods, too.

BTW, Soundscape has a pretty good used/demo department. I'm sure they'll ship, as well. I know they list stuff on eBay.