Center Channel Crossovers - How do we know when they are malfunctioning?

I have an RC-7. When I put my ear right up to each of the two woofers, there is definitely a LOT more material coming out of the right woofer than the left woofer. I almost can't hear anything coming out of the left woofer. I understand the concept of different material coming out of each woofer, but there is a VERY significant difference between what I hear coming out of each woofer. Is there something wrong with my crossover? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello there

I have friend that has B&W CC6 and I heard the same exact thing! One side of the two bass mid was producing more bass to mid, while other just produced bass.

The matching of the tone with his B&W DM601 or 602 I cant remember which, the tone is holy mess! The left and right matched tonal sound is miles different and I stressed time and time again get matching fronts.

As for the crossover issue it might well be internal of the manufactures design of the crossover?

Personally I don’t like it makes my friends LCR sound dreadfully dull.

When the pink noise moves from left to centre its just dull sound the highs sound like they have sock stuffed into the tweeter. When pink noise moves over to right, well you guessed it! The tone is match of the left!

Matching equals performance!

Mismatching equals rubbish performance!

Myself I use matching bookshelf JBL control 5 across the fronts that have been modified so I can run Behringer DCX2496 on them with low bass mid going to (bass mid) and highs going to the (tweeter) been running it this way for 3 years now, no issues.

Tone from the bass mid LCR is fairly close with spacing of the LCR they interact differently, so I have to compensate with the parametric EQ to get each one as near close with in few db in frequency as possible

Same goes with the high end (tweeter).

Each driver has its own amplifier its on audio limiter / dynamic EQ / delay setting / phase polarity / even the kitchen sink been thrown in as well!

I have other JBL speakers that I can mix and mismatch up the centre, but why on Earth, would I want to do that, it’s a load of hassle to EQ.

I have an RC-7. When I put my ear right up to each of the two woofers, there is definitely a LOT more material coming out of the right woofer than the left woofer. I almost can't hear anything coming out of the left woofer. I understand the concept of different material coming out of each woofer, but there is a VERY significant difference between what I hear coming out of each woofer. Is there something wrong with my crossover? Any thoughts or suggestions?

They are supposed to be that way. From the Klipsch Products description:

The RC-7 center channel features Klipsch's version of 2.5-way crossover
technology, called tapered-array. With tapered-array, the two
Cerametallic™ woofers work together to deliver high impact bass with
one driver transitioning out at the mid-range frequencies. This
provides more consistent coverage across the listening field, less
tonal error and improved dialogue intelligibility.

Yeah - I believe you are correct.

I played a different movie this morning and there was different material coming out of both woofers. The left channel seems to be producing a much lower frequency and the right channel appears to be a brighter material - getting closer to what would come out of the horn. Interesting. The end result sounds clear and powerful. I have had the RC-7 a few years now and just noticed this phenomenon very recently and by accident.

Yeah - I believe you are correct.

and there was different material coming out of both woofers. The left channel seems to be producing a much lower frequency and the right channel appears to be a brighter material

Just to clarify something...........

It's not "channels". There is not a left and right channel going to the left and right drivers (woofers). It's a frequency "division" (crossover) of the same material. At lower (bass) frquencies both woofers are producing the low tones so that they work in concert together. At higher frequencies (into the midrange) only one of the drivers continues to produce sound. This helps increase output in the low bass range and takes some load off of what would otherwise be a single bass driver, while reducing the interference effect at higher frequencies (shorter wavlengths) between the two drivers, which is called the comb-filter effect, as wuzzer pointed out in your other thread.