Which surrounds to match RF-83's

redtitan29

Hi everyone!! I just purchased RF-83's and the RC-64. I know Klipsch recommends the RS-62's for surrounds but I am wondering how the RF-82's would sound instead. Can anyone give your thoughts on which speakers you would choose and why? This is my first post but have been reading on here for a very long time. I want to thank you all for the information and experience you bring to the community!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new purchase. You are going to love them. There are several on here that use floorstanding speakers for rears and have gotten great results with them. Many will suggest that if you listen to more music than movies, direct radiating speakers (like the RF and RB series) would be preferred. If you watch more movies than music, the RS series would be a better choice.

Rather than give my thoughts on which specific speakers, I'll simply share my thoughts on style. I personally like towers. I like them due to their "pressence" and what I call "tone". In other words, "space" for the sound to emminate from. Larger boxs "usually" mean more pressence and a deeper "tone" (bass). I personally am not trying to replicate a theater where multiple people are in a variety of seating positions relative to the speaker - instead I have a very specific seating position and rarely have more than 2 people (usually only one) watching a movie. The Mrs. doesn't care for the kinds of movies that best utilyze my speakers (nor the volume to make them shine) and the movies she prefers have little need for the soundstage I created. Therefore, for me, Towers work very well.

If on the other hand, I was trying to design a home theater for say 6-10 people, then I would either need multiple towers or surrounds with wider dispersion. Due to cost, I would likely choose design specific speakers as in wide dispersion surrounds. Companies like Klipsch design theater speakers for the task at hand and the reason that some very smart engineers use wide dispersion speakers for inclusion into Brand Name home theater systems, should indicate that for the intended purpose, those speakers are best.

I really don't think there is a wrong way. Take what you have, and upgrade when you can. Meanwhile enjoy to the fullest.