Saw John Mayall last night

Rockets

Orlando had a FREE Blues B Q downtown and he was the headliner. I did upgrade and bought $45 VIP tickets which landed you right in front of the stage. [:D] Show was excellent, my ears are still ringing, but John is definitely showing his age (aren't we all). I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see him, as he's someone I've dreamed of seeing. The concert was strictly old school. No gimmicks, just a quick self intro, then an intro of the band, followed by an intro of each song.

Some of the funny moments had nothing to do with him, but one was when I was speaking to a local cop doing security...I asked him if he ever heard of John Mayall....no.....This wasn't a young cop either. So, I told him that Mayall basiclly schooled many of todays blues greats and left it at that.

The worst moment was when one of the event sponsers, a prominent ambulance chaser, got up on stage to do an intro for John May-Hall. A true fan there boy....I just had to shake my head.

Saw John Mayall many times while growing up in England, sure woulda liked to been at that show and FREE as well.... you can't beat that!...Still enjoy listening to him and await his latest releases, he still turns out some good stuff and is always accompanied by great musicians. Take a listen to "Spinning Coin" if you can find a copy

post-21054-13819569121696_thumb.jpg

Been a fan since about '66. Drove to OKC to see Mayall years ago. I'm thinking it was '70. He had the band with Harvey Mandel, Larry Taylor (!) and that great drummer...can't remember the name...one of his best bands ever.

Opening was the then unknown Alice Cooper. He was utter histrionic crap. Perhaps he got better. When Mayall took the stage, he was steaming mad. He wanted the PA levels down, dammit, because we're going to make music, not that noise.

They were superb. That was probably the last truly great large (non-symphony) concert I ever attended.

Okay, I take that back. Weather Report at Jones Hall, Houston was great in '78.