HELP Chorus II vs RF-7

Glen Sinclair

Which Haffler do you have?

I had the DH500 years ago, and what a brute. I drove a pair of Infinity RS 2.5's, which licked up alot of power through the crossovers before ever getting to the drivers, but, it would peel paint and not even break a sweat.

Also, being the initial question was XX vs XX, I will take the reference series hands down. To me, the reference line doesn't lack a thing.

At low volumes which is where I typically listen, they presennt a huge sound stage, top to bottom, and are very well balanced.

The Chorus II I had as well as the Heresy II's I have now sound(ed) like speakers. They are "boxie" sounding, where as the Reference that I have dissapear and let the recording flow.

The Chorus II I had as well as the Heresy II's I have now sound(ed) like speakers. They are "boxie" sounding

I couldn't agree with you more. However, if they sound "boxie" it's because they need more power.....or better power.

I hate that "boxie" sound.

The Chorus II I had as well as the Heresy II's I have now sound(ed) like speakers. They are "boxie" sounding

I couldn't agree with you more. However, if they sound "boxie" it's because they need more power.....or better power.

I hate that "boxie" sound.

The tractrix doesnt sound anything like the exponential. We are talking about 2 totally different designs when we use these 2 speakers in the same sentence. One is a passive design the other sealed. We probably could of used any 2 speakers in the world with that comment.

"Boxie"? If you want to get away from "boxie" buy some Electrostatic or Ribbon Speakers(Planars).

Myself, I've heard Klipsch sound honk-ey but I find the horns eleviate the "boxie" sound if thats even a word.

Just for clarification.

Niether pair of my reference series sound boxie.

The 3's and 7's both dissapear when listening. Just my opinion on the initial XX vs XX que posted.

All 3 sets have been listened to through my 2 channel set up which makes the reference series dissapear, and gnats *** accurate, while the heritage sound like speakers, again, too me....

I've heard Klipsch sound honk-ey but I find the horns eleviate the "boxie" sound

In my experience with the "boxie" sound it wasn't the horns....it was the bass. Lack of solid power to the woofer that sounded like a cheap cabinet to my ears. I've heard this not so much with Heresies but with Chorus's lacking power and especially Forte's. Kinda like what we were describing before about Chorus's that aren't fed enough juice......no bass and "in your face highs"......along with that I hear that "cheap cabinet" or " boxie" sound. It seems that more power or an improvement in power overcomes these shortcomings with awesome results.

I've heard Klipsch sound honk-ey but I find the horns eleviate the "boxie" sound

In my experience with the "boxie" sound it wasn't the horns....it was the bass. Lack of solid power to the woofer that sounded like a cheap cabinet to my ears. I've heard this not so much with Heresies but with Chorus's lacking power and especially Forte's. Kinda like what we were describing before about Chorus's that aren't fed enough juice......no bass and "in your face highs"......along with that I hear that "cheap cabinet" or " boxie" sound. It seems that more power or an improvement in power overcomes these shortcomings with awesome results.

I follow you now. I'm with you on the power. I have ran alot of equipment on these Chorus II's and only once I put real power with the QSC or the Crown I've achieved the success I was looking for with controlling the woofer. Even the Aragon 4004 MKII couldn't get it done and that thing is a workhorse.

Now I've not had the level of gear especially tube gear that RSP has so I respect his take but I still find the Chorus II woofer needing tons of power.

Oh by the way the Chorus II cabinet is a very well constructed piece of art! Rap on the top of one........thud.

VTL 185 Signature mono blocks.

Those look like some sweet amps. Where are you located? I'd love to hear them with RF-7's. Over 100 watts of tube power? Now we're talking. Yes

^ Me too. It would be very interesting to hear how the 7's sound with that much tube power.

I am 6 miles south of Prescott.

Take hwy 10 as far west as you can in the state, and wha-la.

Give me a few days heads up, and bring your favorite discs over on a Saturday or Sunday.

I built a "man cave" in the basement this winter so when the wife punishes me, thats where I am sent (oh darn)....... and I don't disturb her.

post-17052-1381955422653_thumb.jpg

post-17052-13819569679502_thumb.jpg

......so when the wife punishes me, thats where I am sent (oh darn)....... and I don't disturb her.

In your man cave, is there a decibel level cap? Wink

Only when she's home.

Not so much for the volume, but the fact that John Lee Hooker and Buddy Guy's music "make her want to slit her wrists".

She doesn't share my appreciation for the art of music........