Home Theater remodel help

fireray

Hi, a first timer here. Since we are re-painting and doing some light remodeling it seems like a perfect time to re do my HT. I will get to my question by let me give the current set up and what I would like to do.

Currently using a 5.1 set-up in a 18x12 room

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH - Keeping

Sub: Velodyne impact 10 Keeping

remaining 5 speakers are Bose but not matching. Not keeping

Since my space is relatively small and so is my budget but, I would like to move to Klipsch speakers .

From what I have been reading and have heard from others is to match all speakers (the brand and same series/model) is this right?

What I have been thinking about doing is going with a Synergy set up for the front B-3 's and a C-2.

I would like to take advantage of my receivers ability to produce 7.1 and use something like the

quintet III's for the surround and surround backs wall mounted . Will I be all right with this set-up?

I know they all do not match again, but isn't the front and a good center the most important part to have matching? The quintet thought was just so I don't have big speakers sticking out of the walls because of the room size.

Please tell me this will be a big improvement over my current miss matched Bose setup.

You would think WOW Bose, but from other speakers I have heard and reviews I have read I believe I can do better with Klipsch. Thanks for reading from a newbie.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're on the right track. I'd buy the best center channel you can afford and timber match the other 2 speakers to it. The sides aren't as critical, but you want speakers all from the same line across the front.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Budget is between 600.00 & 700.00 to replace 7 speakers. Used is fine with me. I saw a lot of great prices in Vanns clearance section. I know I had mentioned I did not want big speakers sticking out of the wall for surrounds but Vanns had some S-1's on sale. Are these speakers as big as they look?

I am in Michigan, just north of Detroit. I also ran across some Polk in wall speakers for my surrounds (saving space). I know I am mixing brands, but the most important part is to keep the front 3 matched, right?

A question on the surrounds: How far from the surround speakers on the sides should the back surrounds be? Again room is 18x12.

Thanks

Fire, I would second what Blu said about the best five speakers, except I will take it a step further and say... Get the best front soundstage (L/C/R) you can, and use your Bose until you have saved enough for proper surrounds. 600-700 could get you a pretty solid L/C/R to build onto. That was around my budget when I got into this thing and I started with RF-25's and a RC-35 (obviously I had to do some serious searching and found pretty good deals) that did me really well. I have since sold that set-up and used the money from that sale plus some saved money to get what I have now.

For me, the name of the game when starting out is patience. Really scour ebay, craigslist, and other places for good deals, they are out there!!!

I have found through this forum and from personal experience with friends/family that when people try to get everything the need in one big purchase, they are sometimes dissapointed because the end up with lower quality stuff just because the wanted the conveinence of buying it all at once (and buying new). Does that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling, sorry.

Anyway, all of this is strictly my opinion.

Just a really quick search on CL in your area turned up a guy selling RF-3's ($650) and a RC-3 ($150). That would be a very solid front soundstage. Not the best deal I have ever seen on RF-3's but:

a) they are local, so you could listen to them

B) you can always haggle, nothing wrong with trying to get a better deal. I would say if the guy is really motivated, and you offered to buy both (RF3's and RC3) you could get him down to the $600-$650 range. And, if not... then move on down the road. No skin off your back.