Seeking opinions on changing phono preamps

winchester21

I am running a tercell 2- one of the last ones ever made. I need MC and after speaking with several others I am getting the impression that I would be better off selling the Tercell and buying a PS Audio GCPH MM/MC prreamp. The pre retails at 1000 but can be bought off AG for less 500-600. I really dont want to ship my Tercell back for mods at this point. 2 shipping charges are a deal killer on this course course of action. Nothing against the tercell. I have enjoyed it.

Anybody have any feed backon the PS audio pre?? High marks in all reviews.

Opinions and comments appreciated.

If you're looking at the PSAudio GCPH, Ray Samuel's (Emmeline) new Nighthawk phono pre is generating a lot of excitement from some pretty knowledgeable phonofolk. Ray's diminutive MM/MC pre is a dual-mono design with active RIAA eq, has loading and gain controls on the face and is lithium ion powered (@50 hrs/charge). Ray Samuel is a highly respected designer and the Nighthawk may be his breakthrough product as its already been labeled a 'Giant Killer' for its innovative and versatile design, great specs and best of all..its a bargain. Units started shipping this month (March) and Ray is offering his pre at an introductory price of $650 in a variety of color combinations. Here's the discussion over at Audio Circles...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/ultimate-mc-mm-phono-stage-f-117-nighthawk-459221/#post6210431

and here's a pic....

post-3360-13819555394034_thumb.jpg

post-3360-13819570622158_thumb.jpg

The nighthawk is certainly interesting. I plan on using a Denon 103 but I am not sure which verson to buy. I saw ZU mod that looked great but they are out until late summer. Any input would be appreciated

I can buy a PS audio pre for 600 shipped- I know 2 people who work on gear and build amps - preform mods- ect. Both said to go with the PS.

My technical knowledge is very limited. I have built my system upon the advice of this forum.

win,

You can buy and use a Denon 103, then send it in to Zu at a later date. Or, buy a Zu, and get a 103 to use in the meantime.

See this thread @ Vinyl Asylum about a place (Comet Supply) that sells the Denons 103 and 103R for less than everyone else. A dude in the thread received one already. The are s..l..o..w to deliver, though.

Here's a link to Comet Supply. Scroll down to see the Denons. It's weird, they are a restaurant supply company.

I like the Denons.

win,

You can buy and use a Denon 103, then send it in to Zu at a later date. Or, buy a Zu, and get a 103 to use in the meantime.

See this thread @ Vinyl Asylum about a place (Comet Supply) that sells the Denons 103 and 103R for less than everyone else. A dude in the thread received one already. The are s..l..o..w to deliver, though.

Here's a link to Comet Supply. Scroll down to see the Denons. It's weird, they are a restaurant supply company.

I like the Denons. I have a 103 and a Zu 103R that has not been used yet.

Win, did you ask Craig/NOSValves what phono pre he recommends? If you haven't, I'd suggest asking him unless you've auditioned what you're settling on. He's very good, knowledgeable, and reliable from everything I've seen.

Didn't you rule out Mark adding Cream transformers? I wonder, given how good the BBX's phono is, if that isn't a pretty good option in relation to what you're considering.