1959 Rosewood Klipschorns

camo

I am new to this site, so bear with me. I own a pair of 1959 Klipsch corner horns. I know they are rosewood, and I believe they are solid rosewood throughout. My father bought them in '59 for $1,500.00 each. Looking at this website, it appears that rosewood Klipschorns made in the '80s were made with veneer. There is no label on the back like you see on newer speakers, just a number stamped in the wood in the back. One speaker has 1445. The other is hard to get to the back. I had the large Electrovoice bass speakers re-coned in the '80s. There used to be a strip of paper on the back of one speaker with scotch tape over it that said "made in 1959 by Paul Klipsch, Hope, Arkansas". My father loved classical music. I don't have to tell you these speakers sound unbelievable. Can anyone tell me about older speakers like these? I'm not going to sell them, but are they rare or valuable?

• Moderators

Hi Camo. Welcome to the forums. Many of the guys here in the forum would love to have a pair of Klipschorns. Some cannot due to space limitations or WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) etc. Those that do own them, absolutely adore them. From what I've heard, they are phenomenal speakers. Are you planning on using them in your own setup? You can see that Khorns still have a good resell value even though they are vintage speakers. Audiogon has a few listed right now to give you a possible idea of their value. Price is determined by manufacture date, finish, original components, condition etc. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

They are the right and left channel in my four channel home theater surround systen (center channel-Bose, rear channel-JBL). I've got walnut Heresys in the bedroom. Love them! Dad was always amused by the name, Heresy. He said that Paul Klipsch said he would not build a conventional box speaker because he believed so strongly in the superior sound of the folded corner horn. He finally did build them. Hense the name, Heresy.

• Moderators

Dad was always amused by the name, Heresy. He said that Paul Klipsch said he would not build a conventional box speaker because he believed so strongly in the superior sound of the folded corner horn. He finally did build them. Hense the name, Heresy.

Ha! That's a great story. I never knew that. Too cool.

1959 is still veneer. Not to worry. Klipsch used excellent quality plywood.

First thing to do is get those Heresys in your HT. The Bose and JBL won't match up well in comparison. Use one for a center until you find something better or move the JBLs into the bedroom and use the Heresys in the rear. Just a suggestion.

Second, take pictures!! We like pictures, especially of rare and exotic veneers and older models. Show us the logo on the front of the speakers and any other details you can provide.

Lots of good info and great people here willing to offer their expertise and help spend your hard-earned money!

Welcome to the forum.

You my new friend, are a very lucky man, to have a father that has taste such as his. Wow, vintage Rosewood Khorns, unbelievable.

As stated above, install one of the Heresy's as a center channel Immediately, then take the Bose to the driveway with a 12lb. sledge hammer and put it out of its misery, Just kidding. But seriously, your not getting much benifit from your Khorns, being paired up with a center channel that is SOOOO inefficient, I'm amazed that you have enough setup adjustment to make the combination palatable. The efficiency of the Heresy is still rather unacceptable when paired to Khorns, but it's still 10fold better.

I'd start looking for a pair of other Heritage to compliment your Khorns. Lascalla would be best, if you have room, Belle would be nearly as good, but has an improved WAF, except with my wife, Cornwall, or Chorus 1's would be a good match. I would avoid Chorus II's, Forte's, or Quartets due to the passive radiator issues and their placement issues. I don't know for a fact, but some of the large Kg series might also suffice. I'll let others opinions weigh here.

Once a suitable new center is obtained, replace the JBL's with the Heresy's, and your nearly to Nirvana.

LET THE ADDICTION BEGIN!!!