Cornwall's

Truther

I recently bought a set of Cornwall's (Cornwall II ?) with cane grills that were built in the 70's. I have never listened to Cornwall's, but I had an opportunity to buy them at a good price, and after doing some research, I am now getting very, very pumped up about cranking them up in my new house. They are BIG and appear in good condition. I have not hooked up a receiver to them yet because I feel I need to acquire a quality receiver to maximize the pleasure of these efficient speakers. My fiance' is getting nervous about these staying in the living room where they are now and suggesting the garage...ouch. So I am now in a position to purchase a Marantz 2250B to go with the speakers and get the quality sound that will grant my Cornwall's squatter's rights for good in the living room. Because of my inexperience, my question is....is the Marantz 2250B a ggod match for these speakers? Any good or bad points plus any advice on additional hardware would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......

Congrats. I don't know anything about that marantz; but, i can tell you that i was just at my brother's listening to his cornwalls, and i remember asking if it is possible for music to sound any better. he was using a yamaha amp (not sure which model).

Congrats on the Corns...

Do you have any pictures of the new speakers? We always love to see pictures of new speakers.

I had a Marantz 2238B hooked up to my Vert Corns until I found my Mac gear. You will be fine with the 2250B receiver. just sit back and try not to piss off the neighbors too much.

James

Glad to hear yours are still in the living room. I've be religated to the basement along with all my "mid-life crisis" stereo gear. No worries though, I crank the CWs alot louder down there. I'm using vintage Pioneer recievers from the 70s (SX line). Trust me, the CWs will sound good with SX (650 and above) and these can be had all day long on E-bay for $150 and up. When they blow up I just buy another one.

Last evening I responded to a Craigslist ad for an Academy center. When I got there the guy took me into his den and demo'd the best sounding system I have ever,ever,ever(did I say ever!) heard. 1976 Cornwall II's, Juicy blueberry w/cream preamp, NOS Valve VRD tube amps, sourced from his computer and a Sony Cd player.

Absolutely fantastic! Now you have to take into consideration that he has about $6K in amplification, but what a sound. By the way, I didn't buy the Academy, but I did take home a Juicy Merlin preamp! And am now on the hunt for a good tube amp and a pair of Cornwalls. The Marantz will definitely be plenty of power, but remember watts aren't everything. I have powered my Khorns with a 2.5 watt tube amp and had plenty of volume. Try a tube amp if you can.