learn me this...(ear buds)

oldmako

I'm a travelling Jones and I use my pod quite a bit. I'm also a clumsy and world class dork.....think Baby Huey on steroids, starbucks and crank. I abuse earbuds in much the same manner in which Michael Vick abused his dogs. Consequently I am loath to spend big bucks on something I will most certainly break, lose, rip, tear, discombobulate, spindle, mutilate, mangle, wail upon, trash, heave, chew, mandibulate, masticate, cramp, crimp, crush, crap upon etc. Therein lies my delimmna.

Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced pair of buds which will provide me with a reasonable level of fidelity??? I have tried the crap that comes with the pod along with 2 different pair of Sony, Skull candy, and several sets of who knows what else. I tend to devour them like chicklets. For the most part, I hate them all, but I also hate the idea of dropping big bucks bucks on a set due to their short life span when in my bumbling possession.

My ions are all dicked up.

For the money, the S4 model ($80) with the Ipod sounds really good. I have a classic 80Gb Ipod and if I use the reduced bass setting on the EQ it makes the S4's really close to the C3 and X5 models. With no EQ curve the bass is actually almost too much.

If you are hard on things and don't expect to be able to reasonably make a warranty claim, you might be able to score a set off of Craigslist or something. I got a set of X-5s that way for about the price of a set of S4's. For maximum durability I would go X-5 or S4. Haven't tried the $50 S2 to see how it stacks up with those. First generation X10s had some occasional problems with splitting strain reliefs, and the custom series has been discontinued. If you do run across a custom, they have a moldable earhook that could get mangled, as well as some finicky cables that have a tendency to kink up with less than careful care. (but the C-3's sound GREAT, just a hair better than the X-5's in my opinion)

P.S. back in the day I had a Pioneer SA8800. Was a college kid and got it off a pawnshop. Didn't know what I had and virtually gave the thing away 10 years ago...

Gliderguy,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I have never heard any Klipsch buds so this is all good info for me. I'm not as tough on them as I let on, but they are fragile. The ones I have now sound terrible and it takes all the enjoyment out of listening.

It's unfortunate that you can't go anywere and sample them. At least, I've never shopped at a store where trying them out was an option. Most are in blister packs. At least now I know where to start and have some info.

WRT the Pioneer(s), the 9100 belongs to my brother who bought it new in the 70s. It was packed away and had issues with several of the pots and the volume control. I spent an hour with some aerosol cleaner and lube and it performs as good as new. I bought the matching tuner because it looks great as a stack. Then I found the 8100 on ebay. It's in mint condition and I got it cheap. I use it as a pre with the Sansui.

I just like the old stuff. Call me a luddite.

At one time Klipsch sent fit kits out ot Guitar Center stores so the various models could be demoed. That may have been before the Image S2 and Image S4 though I'm not sure. Maybe Professor Thump or Amy will respond if that's still possible.

I auditioned the S2 and S4 for around a minute each and they both sounded pretty good. The Custom 3 had the best sound. I prefer the sound of the X5 over the X10 though we have X10 and Custom 2. The X5 and X10 models should have faster and tighter bass due to using armatures instead of micro drivers as are used in the S2 and S4.

Had no problems with Custom 2 using for about 13 months. Sometime in about a year using the X10 the strain reliefs are splitting. [:'(]

The 'phones are usually available for audition if you can make the Pilgrimage at least that's been the case of the 2 I attended and Professor Thump also brought 'em by to a non-official Klipsch gathering last summer when there was no Pilgrimage. I suspect if one were to ask Professor Thump or Amy nice enough one might be able to arrange an audition at Klipsch HQ if one were in Indianapolis.. This year's Pilgrimage is in Hope.

The S4's sound signature were supposedly designed with playback of compressed music files in mind... and maybe the almost too much bass is for the teen market? That said I play mp3 files though my X10 and Custom 2 before that and it sounds awesome.

I'm sure even the S2 will blow away any normal earbuds but haven't used 'em long enough to know and never have used normal earbuds much.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...