Replacing Original forte II Line / Binding Post Inputs

Anyone have any experience replacing the original plastic binding posts on a pair of forte II? What would you recomend as a replacement? Is it a simple change out? Any suggestions and or description on how to do the job would be most appreciated.

I am currently running Monster 550 banana type connections from my amp to the speakers, and would like to re-use with the changeout if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

John

I have not done it.

Let me point out that it is the nuts on the binding posts of the Klipsch unit which are plastic. There is a good metal banana jack (female) underneath which is the electrical connection to your banana plugs. Is it gold plated on yours? The posts on my Quartets are not.

In my view, there is not much to be gained electrically by replacing the units on the speaker. For example there are more pretty replacement units you can find at Parts Express where the nut is gold plated metal. However the metal to metal contact area when using a banana plug is not going to change.

But, many people have the urge to tinker and some people like the gold to gold contact.

Regarding the mechanics. Please see this thread http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/125306/1302687.aspx#1302687 You will see a link to Bob Crites' project of replacing the crossover. As you can see, the normal crossover is mounted behind the banana jacks. He is moving a substitute crossover board to the bottom of the speaker box and running wires from the females to the replacement crossover. The very nice photographs illustrate the nature of the project you are contemplating.

If you go ahead, you will have to take a close look at the the end of the replacement banana jack which goes through the "cup" and towards the interior to connect to the internal wiring. Screw size, length, etc., could be a problem.

If you do the work, please take pictures and post them. You'll be our new expert on the matter. Smile.

Wm McD

I replaced one. I ordered it from Klipsch, just like the original. That was the easist. Just take the broken one out and replace it with the new one. I think you run into problems with depth and size if you try bigger ones from parts express. Also the ones from Klipsch were fairly inexpensive.

Thank you both for your suggestions. My forte II's are in perfect working order, just thought that I might gain some sonic improvement by replacing the plastic nuts. Sounds as if there would be little to no gain.

I am going to rebuild the crossovers and replace the original tweeter diaphragm with a Bob Crites provided titanium.

Thanks again!

John