kg 5.5's have seen better days - need help !! (pics)

steck

hey all, 1st post, and looking for help from knowledgeable klipsch people !

i've had a pr of KG5.5's since new, and recently they endured a barn party, where i think they were tested to their potential.

woofers are out and they've come apart...

also i noticed a small white thingy on the inside floor of speaker which obviously came off the xover..

what would you do ? replace all 4 woofers (i was thinking Rf 7 or something) and both X overs ?

can u still get these original woofers..or what would be a great replacement ??

thanks for any input.

on a positive note, these speakers have been a gem, and the core of my home theatre system for (what seems to be) eons..

i'm also thinking of getting a pair of 'commercial DJ' type speakers for these type of events and leave the 5.5's at home !!!

Hi. I'm pretty new at owning Klipsch but I've been able to soak up a little knowledge from the forum posts. The titanium drivers you mentioned are probably the ones sold by Bob Crite through his website & his e-bay store. He also has crossover kits (if you're a DIY kinda guy) & does repairs at his shop. His website also lists replacement drivers. You could do a search on the forum for "Bob Crite" & also on the web. I've also noticed from surfing e-bay that there are often original replacement woofers for sale there. Also the parts dept here at Klipsch will probably have them for you. Sorry that's the only help I can give ya but I'm pretty sure someone more knowledgeable than I will post a reply.

thanks for the input...i'll have to search the gentleman you mentioned..

i think the titanium diaphrams are for the k-horns,, but i dunno. i'll keep researching !

regardless, need two (atleast) woofers for the 5.5's and hopefully find decent replacements !

chow !

I just looked at his website (Critesspeakers.com) It lists the titanium drivers for kg series tweeters & you can ship him your crossovers for repair. He also lists prices for all his services. I believe the replacement woofer costs for new ones are a pretty good deal at the Klipsch Parts Dept compared to the price for used ones on e-bay, but that's based on a pretty limited sample on my part (just the price they quoted to me for a replacement woofer for a Heresy). Klipsch support has also been very helpful when I've e-mailed them with a couple of questions through the support page on this website. And for what it's worth, even Steven Stills & Neal Young would probably agree on leaving the kg 5.5s at home ( [:$] sorry for the Buffalo Springfield pun, but my wife allows me one a day). Good luck in your quest.& welcome to the forum.

While you may be attached to your speakers, rebuilding them with new woofers, crossover components, etc., may cost more than they are worth. I have seen them sell on ebay for anywhere between $250-$400. It seems that some are listed there nearly every month or so. I empathize, as it may be a tough choice.

While you may be attached to your speakers, rebuilding them with new woofers, crossover components, etc., may cost more than they are worth. I have seen them sell on ebay for anywhere between $250-$400. It seems that some are listed there nearly every month or so. I empathize, as it may be a tough choice.

i hear ya, but its the cost of replacing them with new ones that will kill me.

the rf 83's would be alot of coin around here , not to mention the rf -7's !!

hmmmmmm, RF-7s....

i'll contact klipsch to see if they still stock them..who knows ?

or check that site that was posted

thanks for comments guys

btw, anyone see a X-over drop a 'whatever that is' to the bottom of the speaker ?!

Well my condolenscences on your loss. I have owned a pair of KG5.5 bought new in the early 90's, I don't let my "kids" mess with them.

If your goal is to bring them back to original specs, then replacing the woofers, rebuilding the horn drivers and refreashing the crossovers will get you a 'new' pair of KG's for another 20 years of enjoyment. Bob Crites can rebuild or supply you with the parts to rebuild the horns and crossovers.

If you just want to get them back into a functioning state there are several low cost woofer replacements that would sound satisfactory. The Classic 10 inch woofer from Parts Express would be a good choice, and go for only about $25 per woofer. My brother built a DIY pair of speakers using two of the classic 12 inch woofers and is very satisfied with the results. You may have to attenuate the horn to balance with the lower sensitivity woofers.

If it was up to me, I guess I would rebuild the KGs with new OEM woofers, and redo the crossovers. I do love the sound of my KGs!

I paid $275 for a pair of oak oil KG 5.2s that were close to mint. That was about a year and a half ago. FYI

I'd put your 5.5s on hold and watch ebay or craigs list for a rough donor speaker or cheap parts. Like has been said before you'll be upside down in them other wise. Unless you love them for some sentimental reason I'd just wait for cheap parts to surface.

i hear ya, but its the cost of replacing them with new ones that will kill me.

the rf 83's would be alot of coin around here , not to mention the rf -7's !!

hmmmmmm, RF-7s....

i'll contact klipsch to see if they still stock them..who knows ?

or check that site that was posted

thanks for comments guys

anyone see a X-over drop a 'whatever that is' to the bottom of the speaker ?!

No offense but comparing the cost of RF-7s and RF-83s isn't really on par with the cost of replacing a pair of KG series. I've had KG and loved them but if your going to compare fixing your KGs vs replacing them then compare the price of replacing with another pair of comparable KGs. I think then the idea of replacing them over fixing them will be an easier choice.

Going off of Bob's website. To redo both crossovers (you'd want to do them both) it will cost: Type KG-5.5: $135.00 + $13 shipping + lets assum the same shipping to get them to Bob $13 = $161 plus the cost of a K-1023-K woofer. This site has them listed at $75: http://www.gvibes.com/parts/klipsch.txt

So guessing around $250 when you add some shipping on to the woofer.

Still hold on to your current ones if you want to wait for parts, but you could be up and going with a different pair right away and then when you find the parts for yours cheap you could have matching rear speakers for your HT which is never a bad thing!

But one thing to think about on the fixing your's side of the fence is that then your KG 5.5s would have fresh caps in the crossovers. I can tell you it made a big difference in my Forte IIs and my Cornwalls. Where as if you buy different KG 5.5s you'd still be listening to worn out 20 year old caps. I paid to redo my crossovers and I didn't even have a problem, so maybe if you look at the cost of the crossovers as maintenance that needed to be done anyway to get them back up to sounding their best and then the cost of the woofer is really the only cost to fix it makes since to fix the ones you got.

Its all about knowing what you want and then justifying the means to that end!!!! [:P]

I recently bought three k-1023s, crossovers and k-85s from a gent on epay, plus I've got a NOS k-1023 in the driver store room. I'd want to rotate the woofers through my KGs to make sure they are functioning properly. I may be able to help you out with the woofers and crossovers. The k-85s I can't part with, since I've already used one.

No offense but comparing the cost of RF-7s and RF-83s isn't really on par with the cost of replacing a pair of KG series.

well i really need to find out what in the current line up would compare with the 5.5s..and find out how much they would be here in canada (which always is almost dble compared with the U.S.)

Going off of Bob's website. To redo both crossovers (you'd want to do them both) it will cost: Type KG-5.5: $135.00 + $13 shipping + lets assum the same shipping to get them to Bob $13 = $161 plus the cost of a K-1023-K woofer. This site has them listed at $75: http://www.gvibes.com/parts/klipsch.txt

i just looked at the site, and thought the new X-overs were $225 each !! i'll have to dble check tho.

Still hold on to your current ones if you want to wait for parts, but
you could be up and going with a different pair right
away and then when
you find the parts for yours cheap you could have matching rear
speakers for your HT which is never a bad thing!

like buy a newer pair ??

If your goal is to bring them back to original specs, then replacing the woofers, rebuilding the horn drivers and refreashing the crossovers will get you a 'new' pair of KG's for another 20 years of enjoyment.

If it was up to me, I guess I would rebuild the KGs with new OEM woofers, and redo the crossovers. I do love the sound of my KGs!

thats what i'm leaning toward !! thx for the comments

I recently bought three k-1023s, crossovers and k-85s from a gent on epay, plus I've got a NOS k-1023 in the driver store room. I'd want to rotate the woofers through my KGs to make sure they are functioning properly. I may be able to help you out with the woofers and crossovers. The k-85s I can't part with, since I've already used one.

pm sent !!

my bad...$225 for new Xovers (pair) from Bob !!

my supplier in canada (KIipsch service sent me to the canadian distributor) wanted $135 for a replacemetn woofer (k-1023) :(

i think i need two..

so 225 + 270 is $5 hundo, not including shipping...hmmm the saga continues..

No offense but comparing the cost of RF-7s and RF-83s isn't really on par with the cost of replacing a pair of KG series.

well i really need to find out what in the current line up would compare with the 5.5s..and find out how much they would be here in canada (which always is almost dble compared with the U.S.)

i just looked at the site, and thought the new X-overs were $225 each !! i'll have to dble check tho.

That is what Bob charges to rebuild your crossovers that you'd send to him. Check under the services tab. Forum member DeanG also rebuilds crossovers.

Still hold on to your current ones if you want to wait for parts, but you could be up and going with a different pair right away and then when you find the parts for yours cheap you could have matching rear speakers for your HT which is never a bad thing!

like buy a newer pair ??

Like buy a used pair of KG 5.2s or 5.5s off of Craigslist, etc.