Please help me choose an amp for Klipsch Palladium P-37F (Max $6000 USD)

Jonny D

Hi,

I bought a pair of Palladium P-37F speakers in Sept. 09, I was using a Parasound A52 (now sold). I had an HT setup and am now focusing on 2 channel only. I currently use a Parasound NC 2250, I got a good price on this and am using it as a stop gap. I've owned power amps form Arcam, Unison Research and Parasound. I have only used Parasound with the Palladiums so far although I auditioned them using a Luxman power amp. Out of all the amps I have owned I liked the sound of the Unison Research Unico DM the most when paired with Opera Quintas I had at the time.

I know the best way to find an amp is to try and listen to as much as possible, this isn't always an easy option. I would like to ask the Klipsch community what they have heard with the Palladiums and what they like or feel is a good match. I understand a lot of people use McIntosh, I live in the UK and the price of McIntosh is absolutely crazy! I wouldn't be willing to import as there wouldn't be any dealer support and this is important to me. For example the McIntosh MC252 is £5795 which currently equates to $8715 (US RRP is $5000 / £3325). The most I want to spend is £4,000 (GBP) which is currently around $6000 (USD).

I'm very interested in the Ayre V5-XE which I can get within my budget. I'm going to get home dem soon. I like what I read about Ayre. Out of what I have seen the V5-XE ticks a lot of boxes, I would later like to add a K5-XEMP preamp if I decide to go with Ayre. I have also looked at a Luxman M600a power amp, although the RRP is higher than the Ayre I may be able to get a good price and a dem should be easy. I like the look of the Aesthetix Atlas too, this would be difficult for me to demo and I would like to try before I buy.

I really want to stick with solid state as I believe this will provide with reliability and simplicity. I have never owned a full tube amp, only a hybrid one. I do use a Lector CDP which is a tube CD, however I don't fancy a tube power amp.

I listen to a lot of Jazz, Folk, and a little Classical.

Sorry for such a long post!

Thanks.

Congratulations on your Palladiums! I extensively used a P-37F 5.1 setup at Klipsch HQ in Indianapolis about two years ago, and was VERY impressed with its accuracy, musicality, and long-run (for the day I used it) comfort and pleasantness of the sound. I used it to show classical music DVDs, and the speaks were great matches with the clear HD-like display. I may be mistaken, but believe they used Aragon electronics, which are no longer being made. Very fine match, in my opinion.

As few on the forum have Palladiums, my feeling is that you should also ask in two other places: Klipsch staff (e-mail Amy Unger or Trey Cannon for starters), and the place you bought it if you can.

I don't want to be presumptuous, but are you getting surrounds and a sub?

Happy listening!

Can anyone please tell me how to split the above text into paragraphs?

When I wrote the post it was split into seperate paragraphs, however when I posted it it was grouped together.

I'm too new too all this, sorry!

Welcome Jonny D! Are you using Safari? I used to have the same problem until I stared using firefox.

Thank you for the reply Larry and thanks for your comments.

I remember looking at some pictures on the forum of the palladiums and noticed Aragon and also McIntosh. I may be wrong but I think Aragon are on the go again after 2 ex employees bought the company, I may look into this further. The dealer suggested Nuforce or Luxman, not so keen on the Nuforce option, Luxman are of interest though.

I'm purely focusing on 2 channel, my intention was to buy the centre and surrounds, however 2ch is more important. I think I might create a completely seperate home theatre using the Klipsch THX Ultra II speakers, but that's another story! I want to have a good stereo system based around the Palladiums, I think Ayre may be my best option. I thought there may be someone somewhere using Palladiums with Klipsch but I can't find anyone. I'll try and contact the people you suggest.

Thank you for the advice.

Can anyone please tell me how to split the above text into paragraphs?

Try this: click on your name over your avatar in one of your posts, then click on "Edit Profile" in the upper right corner. (I don't know if you have to go the first part of this, but that's how I had to find it.)

Under Edit Profile, click the "Site options" tab, and go to the Content Editor. Click the drop-down arrow, and select:

"Tiny MCE-Enhanced - more toolbar options."

Whether that works may depend on your browser program.

I would look into two Emotiva XPA-1's and use the rest of your hard earned money on something else. Good luck with your search, post some pics if you ever get chance.

I appreciate the advice, thanks. Unfortunately I am unable to demo this brand so this isn't an option. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Thanks to runninshine and Larry, I am now using Explorer rather than Google Chrome and Safari, I am now able to post in paragraphs. I also adjusted the settings suggested.

I have arranged to collect the Ayre V5-XE after work on Friday so I'll be able to get a home demo of this over the weekend.

I've been wanting to listen this with the Palladiums for a while so can't wait! I've listened to the Tannoy DC8 and Triangle Magellan with a full Ayre front end and was impressed, I hope I like it at home with my speakers and equipment.

look for a pair of Aragon Palladium 1K's , would probably be a great match. As far as suggesting xpa 1s, probably a good amp but I would seek something with better components internall. Ayres always look great.

You didn't mention if you wanted to possibly tri-amp the Palladiums or bi-amp, this could generate numerous options for tubes on the MF and HF sections SS on the LF section.

Do you have the space for mono blocks or are you looking for a single chassis design?

Oh, the Triangles must have been nice, eh? What are you using for a pre-amp?

The Triangles were very nice, my local dealer has only just started to stock them, he doesn't do Klipsch, he stocks Zingali, Gryphon and Thiel. I had to travel a fair distance to audition my P37s. After hearing those Triangles I probably would have gone with them had I not heard the Palladiums.

The preamp I have is a Parasound Halo P7 (multichannel version of the P3) I will change this to an Ayre K5 pre if I choose the Ayre power amp and use the Halo P7 in a seperate Home Theatre setup.

look for a pair of Aragon Palladium 1K's , would probably be a great match. As far as suggesting xpa 1s, probably a good amp but I would seek something with better components internall. Ayres always look great.

You didn't mention if you wanted to possibly tri-amp the Palladiums or bi-amp, this could generate numerous options for tubes on the MF and HF sections SS on the LF section.

Do you have the space for mono blocks or are you looking for a single chassis design?

I only want to buy new, I've not had good experiences buying second hand. As I live in the UK there isn't much Aragon kit around anyway. I really want to stick with SS, I've never owned a full tube amp, only a hybrid one, which I liked. From a reliability point of view I'd rather stick with SS, I feel going down a tube route will be too costly in the long term, I understand they get a little hot too, this is something I'd rather avoid.

I would be interested in monos, however I don't think there's much around in my price range. The P37 speakers only have 2 pairs of terminals rather than 3 so tri amping won't be an option these, I'd also like to keep things as simple as possible. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Have you heard Ayre with Klipsch? Doesn't seem to be common match, any idea why?

I really want to stick with solid state as I believe this will provide with reliability and simplicity. I have never owned a full tube amp

It's an old wives tale that solid state is more reliable than tube. I'll give it to you that SS is a little more simple than tube, but is the trade-off for inferior sound quality worth it? Before committing to SS you have to listen to a good tube set-up; tubes are not as complex as people think. Don't believe everything you hear. Besides with SS your stuck with what you get, with tube you can roll tubes and create that sound you want!! Tubes are not more costly. Tubes get hot, but take the cabinet off a SS unit and see how hot they get. It'd be a shame to have such nice speakers only to mate them with dry, cold, ear fatiguing digital technology. Klipsch speakers love tubes!!! Tube technology has advanced so far. It's so easy now to bias tubes. Tubes last a long time!!! Get some VRD's from NOSValves.com and you never regret it!!! Way under your budget too.

I really want to stick with solid state as I believe this will provide with reliability and simplicity. I have never owned a full tube amp

It's an old wives tale that solid state is more reliable than tube. I'll give it to you that SS is a little more simple than tube, but is the trade-off for inferior sound quality worth it? Before committing to SS you have to listen to a good tube set-up; tubes are not as complex as people think. Don't believe everything you hear. Besides with SS your stuck with what you get, with tube you can roll tubes and create that sound you want!! Tubes are not more costly. Tubes get hot, but take the cabinet off a SS unit and see how hot they get. It'd be a shame to have such nice speakers only to mate them with dry, cold, ear fatiguing digital technology. Klipsch speakers love tubes!!! Tube technology has advanced so far. It's so easy now to bias tubes. Tubes last a long time!!! Get some VRD's from NOSValves.com and you never regret it!!! Way under your budget too.

I agree.

Having awsome speakers and SS is not taking an oppurtunity to acheive exceptional realism.

Home demos are nice but limitted in lenght. I have never had a home demo of any componemt i have bought.

Conrad Johnson, BAT and Audio Reseach make great tube preamps.

VRDs may have an equal ut I have not heard a tube power amp of equal bass weight and musical realism.

For Kicks just buy a rebuilt Scott tube integrated (not a MapleShade rebuild they destroy the preamp section).

In 2 weeks you can get a taste of what tubes can offer. If you do not like it you cann sell it for almost no loss. GREAT phono sections in a Scott compared to other vintage amps.

I started with a Scott LK-48 9 years ago.

Good luck

I really do want to keep things simple, I don't like the idea of changing tubes and playing around with an amp, I want a fit and forget solution. I have a Lector CD player which uses tubes, I recently fitted some NOS Siemans tubes to it, I beleive these last for some 10,000 hours.

I will take your advice and listen to a tube power amp with my speakers.

I believe my Palladium speakers were voiced using a McIntosh MC402 solid state power amp (please correct me if I'm wrong), this is what made me want a Mac, however as I said before the price in the UK is an absolute joke! There is a McIntosh dealer in Scotland which I could use, it's just the crazy pricing that puts me off.

My understanding is that tube amps are best left powered on all the time, I'm not keen on this idea. I do listen most days (around 2 hours after work and most of Sunday), however I think leaving kit on is a bit of a waste of power. I'm not an environmentalist or anything, otherwise I'd just have a wind up radio and be done! I just feel it's a bit of an unnecessary waste.

I would also like to add that I don't listen too loud, I listen at moderate to low levels. I find the Klipsch speakers sound great at low levels, this was a deciding factor in buying them in the first place. I'm farily young and don't want to ruin my hearing either!

Thank you for sharing your opinions, I'll definitely try a tube amp!

How about some nice Class D Bel Canto amps? Reliable, cool running, efficient, and have the three dimensionality and palpability of tubes. Reasonably priced too.

Thanks for the suggestion Hifi Jim. If I were to try a Class D amp I'd give Nuforce a go as this is what my Klipsch dealer sells and recommends. He does often have Bel Canto gear in his used trade in section which puts me off, he assures me these people trade in for Nuforce gear.

There a lot of features that appeal to me with these amps, all of which you mention. I do feel I'd prefer a bit more for my money in terms of bulk, I might be more interested if they stuck them in a bigger box and filled it wirth lead!

I'll be trying the Ayre tomorrow, I'll then try a Tube amp, If I'm still not satisfied then I'll check out class D.

NuForce and Bel Canto are both Class D amps, but the similarity ends there. I've heard both, and while I'm not at all a fan of NuForce because of its lean and analytical nature, I do really like what I've heard from Bel Canto. I've heard neither on Klipsch but I can't imagine NuForce sounding good on your speakers. Bel Canto, on the other hand, has a more tube like presentation. I understand your concerns buying used, however, Class D amps should be more trouble free than solid state or tubes in the long run. If your dealer has some used Bel Canto gear, it's at the very least an opportunity to hear it on your speakers... or better yet, a home demo.