Best iPhone interface?

bhendrix

What is the best way to connect the X-10i (or X-5) to the iPhone 3GS through the bottom "apple" connector, not the headphone jack?

Given Trey's discovery that the iPhone 3GS rolls off below 200Hz, I want to connect the X-10i directly so there is no loss in lf. I prefer some interface that is very small and convenient, suitable for airline travel. I guess it would need some sort of gain control, too.

So, what's going to provide the best sound in the smallest package?

Thanks!!

Rolls off below 200Hz!?! Does that imply the std earbuds are only good down to about 200 Hz?

I think I've seen a picture of such a device but I'm not sure where. Maybe even try MonoPrice as I think they have at least a few iPod accesories so maybe iPhone.

A very inexpensive headphone amplifier, the Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2 (www.electric-avenues.com) should work well to provide a gain control and more power than normal headphone amplifiers.

I got one primarily for our daughter more to use as a balance control by adjusting the internal gain controls as her hearing is really bad in one ear with the thought if she turns it up to hear it in her bad ear it'd be nice to keep it at a more sane level in her good ear. Seemed like a very good investment so she doesn't trash her good ear - as an added bonus the music sounds more balanced to her.

They are available on eBay but lately have been less expensive (MSRP $60 including shippping) direct.

Does it help the sound? Maybe. I tried it for a couple of days while listening to music at work. Ours did seem to work better after installing 2 AA rechargeable batteries as there was some noise at times with only the wall wart connected. Didn't notice such things and I did listen when using just the internal battereis.

Good luck.

you'll have to get something like this: http://www.headphone.com/accessories/cable-pro-lite-el-ipod-dock-1ft.php (not that specific one, per se), and a portable headphone amp.

Or something like this though the cable looks a bit too long if you're cheap or frugal like me: cheap version

$120 or $4. I'm sure there are moe in between though the $4 claims to normally be $10.