tonearm counter balance question

winchester21

I have ordered a Denon 103 R whichI would like to send out for ZU mods. The nice folks at ZU indicated that the modded cartridge is 6 grams heavier than the stock one. They indicated that that weight would have to be added to achieve balance with the heavy cartridge. I know that a number of forium members are running the ZU 103 R on an SME tonearm old model removable shell model like mine. What measures were necessary to achieve the balance with this setup??

I am really excited about running this combo/ Thanks in advance

Is your arm a 3009 series ll or 3009 improved? Im not an SME expert in any sense but I did a bit on research on them when I was arm shopping some time ago. Depending on which arm you have I believe that additional counter weights were available , particularly for the Series ll. The different weights were used depending on the cart weight.

I found this info, which is what I remember using when doing my research. Maybe Im missing something, but I do not why you couldnt use a little lead tape on your current counter weight. I have purchased in the past an aftermarket heavyweight for a Rega arm. And I think I could have just added a little lead tape and achieved the same effect. I use lead tape for tennis rackets and it is available at any tennis shop.

Here is the link to the info I was looking at when doing my research

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

And I think I could have just added a little lead tape and achieved the same effect. I use lead tape for tennis rackets and it is available at any tennis shop.

My brother-in-law works in a tire shop in Petaluma. They use lead weights all the time to balance wheels. Tonearms, wheels, it's all the same. Call for an appointment.