Does this sound like a good "next step" towards amazing sound?

superedge88

I may be finding a new room to put my home theater in, and their is a possibility of adding rear speakers for a 7.1 configuration (though I am currently using phantom center) I am wanting to add a QSC PLX amplifier to just amplify my KLF-30's and then possibly just run my surround speakers and rear speakers (RSX-5's) off of the Denon receiver. Does this sound like a good idea? I am very pleased with the RSX speakers, so please don't suggest that I move away from them, just wondering if I will NEED to get a separate amplifier to power the surrounds and rears in order to keep things matched. I am trying to budget things out, and if I know in advance that I will need a separate amplifier for the RSX speakers then it will change my budget for the QSC PLX amplifier for the KLF-30's.

Your surrounds will be powered just fine with your receiver. No need ot get a separate amp for them. I'm running my front Fortes off my Emotiva amp and my surround Fortes off my Marantz receiver and it works very well that way.

Your surrounds will be powered just fine with your receiver. No need ot get a separate amp for them. I'm running my front Fortes off my Emotiva amp and my surround Fortes off my Marantz receiver and it works very well that way.

Thanks for the input, I hope that the mismatch in efficiency doesn't cause issues. Wuzzer, what city do you live in in Minnesota? I am originally from Roseville.

I hope that the mismatch in efficiency doesn't cause issues.

Superedge88,

Until today, I had a pair of RSX-4's as surrounds being powered by my Onkyo(100w/ch) receiver. They were paired up with the RF-63/RC-64 combo powered by a 200w B&K 3 channel amp. All I did was boost the dB level for the surrounds on the receiver setup menu. Was it perfect? No. Did it work for fine for a while(2 years) until I decided to upgrade? Yes. I now have a pair of RS-35's and there is a discernable improvement especially in multichannel music. More bass(of course) and a little crisper. Haven't watch a movie yet but I am expecting improvements there also.

I am sure the RSX-5's have a little more bass than the 4's since it has a larger woofer(5.25 in) and a larger cabinet. For the most part, the RSX's do a fine job with movies and most importantly appeal to the WAF better.

Bill