Beware- another scam

winchester21

Long story short- Outdoor shop is closing- selling their left over inventory- mostly high end glass- Ziess binoculars and misc other stuff worth about 7 grand.Scammer contacts busines with a buy offer on the stuff. Buy offer is accepted. Payment is made by Certified bank check- Wells Fargo according to the story. Goods are shipped to a real street address of a vacant building.Bad guys are waiting at the building for delivery- meet the driver with some story about opening up a new place in a couple of days. Goods are gone- cert check is a very good fake. 10 days later the check bounces and the bad guys are long gone.I have seen this in the business sector several times. I could also see this happening on some high end audio gear.

Someone contacted our company with a stolen ID of another business. Same shipping scenario. We smelled a rat and contacted the FBI. They set up a sting operation and caught the guys. My understanding is they did not get prosecuited for whatever reason.

Never accept a cert bank check from anyone that you do not know. My best friend got burned on a 6K cert check selling a Rolex to a guy from Florida.

I never ship anything until after the check clears but I have had items sent to me on a cert bank check I sent to others. Yes I sent REAL checks, and no I would not have been offended if the seller had stated that goods would be shipped after the check cleared. Then again, I really need to trust someone to send a high value check through the mail to someone I don't know, it is always risky