Recievers to go with the reference series

Aaron_DeWitt

Hey guys need some help again, I was wondering what receivers sound good with the reference series speakers. I know the denon does because it is a softer sound. Im looking for a reciever that handles dts es and dolby digital ex. I have been looking at the denon 3802 so far. Any other suggestions? Are there any that are THX ultra certified at a reasonable cost? Please give me suggestions as i just sold my old sony 835 today and need a new one. Thanks alot. Im upgrading my system part by part. I ordered a SVS 20-39pci today. Getting Reference series speakers this summer. But would like a reciever soon in order to play movies with my old setup.

Thanks again

You'll find a lot of Denon fans here, but I, for one, went with the Integra 8.2. It is THX-Select, does 7.1, has PLII and dts neo, has a kick-a$$ remote, and IMO doesn't sound to bright. I'm moving this summer and am looking into putting speakers in a couple extra rooms, that the 8.2 will handle nicely w/ the ABUS.

This is just MHO. I listened to the 3802 and it sounded great, but to me, the Integra felt better.

------------------

Current HT Setup:

RF-3's front

RC-3 center

RS-3's surround

KV-1 rear-center

M&K V-1250 sub

Integra 8.2 receiver

Mitsubishi 50"

Pioneer C-503 dvd-player

The Sony STR-DA5ES has a nice sound to it with the RF7s, I had the Sony 840 and just upgraded to the 5ES this weekend and the sound is a lot nicer with this receiver, warmer, smoother and more range, at first I thought I was missing something but then realized that the other receiver, while good, was very bright with these speakers, right now Sony has dropped the price on this top receiver, onecall.com has been giving great deals on this, some have picked it up for around $849 shipped FedEx...not bad on a receiver that had a msrp of $1,500...

It has about every imaginable inputs outputs you're likely to want, as well as 110 watts by 6 channels. Hard to beat and sounds well!

G2

I just got a Denon AVR-5800 to go with RP-5's in the front and an RF-3 center. RS-3's coming today for surround.

Before the Denon, I had a Yamaha RX3200 (top of the line), thank goodness it had a bad remote and had to be returned. The Denon BLOWS IT OUT OF THE WATER! (Of course, it IS QUITE a bit more expensive, but it was bonus time!)

I rate the Denon much higher for THX and it handles stereo and direct sound with much less "flavoring" that the Yamaha had.

PLUS.. With the RP's, I have the subs hooked straight to the LFE preamp out and the Denon doesn't miss a beat with this arrangement whether in direct mode for music or full surround sound. Even with 5 channel stereo, the beast just rocks on and says...

WANT MORE POWER DADDY!!!!!

The remote is really COOL too! Handles EVERYTHING in the house and is customizable and links to your PC. Ultracool stuff!

One VERY happy customer with Denon!

I am running a Sony's STR-444ES with Klipsch's RF-3 series setup along with a KSW-12 and absolutely love the sound. The 444ES I have, is identical to the new STR-DA4ES, except the DA4ES has full 6.1 surround, whereas my 6th channel is matrixed. Both decode DDex and DTSes beautifully.

There are ALOT of Denon fans around here, and I have yet to hear a Denon with Klipsch, but from what I hear you can't go wrong. My Sony sound is extremely full and clean, I absolutely love it. Plus I get 120w to each individual channel. Couldn't be happier.

------------------

Home Theater System Includes:

-------------------

Sony STR-V444ES

Fronts: RF-3

Center: RC-3II

Rear: RS3-II

Sun: KSW-12 (Fuse: SB 1.2A)

TV: Sony WEGA 27"

DVD: Sony (Model# ?)

This message has been edited by VideoGUY on 03-27-2002 at 09:06 AM