KG-4 vs. Heresy III

opteron44

I have found another option to upgrade and wanted to know any opinions. Since I use the system mostly for 2 channel music, I am posting here.

Here is my system: Sony WEGA 32FS13, Rotel CD855 CD Player, Oppo BDP-80 Blu-Ray / DVD Player, NAD T-163 pre/pro, Front /Center Amp: Emotiva XPA-3, Rear Amp: Emotiva UPA-2, Front Speakers: Klipsch KG-4 (1986), Rear Speakers: Acculine A-1 (2009), Center Speaker: Emotiva ERM-1(2009), Sub: Dali S 1.2 (2008)

I am thinking of getting Heresy III's for up front and using one of the KG-4's as a center channel (and selling the Emotiva center channel) for HT use.

1. Will the Dali sub provide whatever I lose in the bass response by making this change?

2. Can I place the Heresy's in roughly the same place as the KG-4's and get the same full soundstage that allows flexibility in seating along the opposite wall (not a small sweet spot)?

3. Any reasons this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks very much for all thoughts.

Heresy IIIs have much improved bass response vs. HIs.

Not familiar with your sub, but I do not even use my sub for 2 channel....

And I have Heresy Is.

I think you will be blown away by the mid and upper frequencies of the HIIIs (3 way vs. 2 way; updated design).

And they do thump nicely......

My .02

Good Luck.

Both are similar in size but thats about it, the 3 way Heresy III will provide much better overall sound and more realism. I would say it would be a bad match between the two.

KG4's are nice sounding in their own right but seem less efficient and kinda bass heavy sound, you can always give it a try and see what you think but you may want to match up your speakers for the best overall sound.

Never heard the Dali sub either so no comment there, sorry.

The HIII's are fabulous speakers. I'd suggest to move them around to see what positioning yields the most pleasing sound.

Don't know about using the KG4 as a center. It would be worth doing a comparison with the emotiva to see what offers the clearest voice and such.

Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen.

I am encouraged by everything I am reading about the H III's and think that they will be a meaningful step up for me. Given the size of my room (9 x 18 x 7.5), I think that they are probably as large as I can go with the Heritage line.

From what I have seen here, it would appear fair to think that if the Emotiva amp does a great job with the KG-4, I should be happy with what it does with the H III's.

Unfortunately, I have to wait for my strained elbow to heal before I can order them - right now, I couldn't get them up the steps into the listening room!