Guest Anonymous

The best sub is one you don't hear, and by that i mean something that blends so well with your mains you do not even know its there.

Recently i spent quite some time shopping for subwoofers and found nothing in any price range, everything is sealed and ported, the sealed seemed to blend better but did not have the umph to keep up with demand and the ported subs sounded bloated among other gripes and did not sound good where it needed to match my mains.

I ended up building my own horn loaded subwoofer and could not be happier, you may wish to do the same.

I have never heard the Danley products but seem to be highly liked by many.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

If you have some woodworking skills you may want to build one of Bills designs, the plans are $15.00 (i run the Tuba HT).

http://billfitzmaurice.net/

I am using an Hsu VTF-3 as the primary sub. It's been pounded for several years now without any problems at all.

CLEAN & POWERFUL. There are MANY good ones out there. This one has proven itself to me anyway.[:)][Y]

Take care

Mike

Hey Randy,

I"ve been pleased with the Academy I bought from
you. Hope to get it dialed it this weekend.

I picked up a HSU Research VTF-2 Mk1 used last year that I've been quite happy with. It's plenty sub for a 12x14 room and the ability to use one or two ports (the VT = variable tuning) is a neat feature for adjusting the low end. HSU makes some nice looking subs with beautiful finishes. The one I have is more utilitarian - but it's built like a friggin tank. The only other thing I would consider doing differently in my setup is using two smaller subs (to deal with standing waves IIRC), but that would be a minor refinement.

-Mark