Tercel 2 Tube choice?

kuisis

I am in the process of purchasing a Tercel 2 and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for tubes? I'm just getting back into vinyl and could use all the advice I can get. I have an original peach and will be pairing that with the Tercel. I have two MC250's running in mono into the Peach if that helps.

Thanks

Tom

I have the Tercel "1" with cream and I asked Mark back in 2007 which tubes would make a difference...he told me to get a couple of RCA Black Plate 12AT7s from Brent Jesse. I got two matched ones for about $50 and was very pleased. They were a slight bit noiser than the EHs it came with but, after you hear a good female vocal or a good jazz saxaphone, you won't care.

You will not notice a big difference but when you do notice a difference, it will "bring shivers to your spine". Mark's words but I couldn't agree more.

I asked Mark the same question and am currently working on obtaining them. I have one of the Tercels from the last order made about a year or so ago; here is Mark's response:

TERCEL

V1 - 12AT7

This is the most critical tube in the Tercel. It sets the noise floor for the system. You want a very low noise tube (tested, not just claimed!). I like the Telefunken ECC801S super low noise, or the Mullard 10M.

V2 - 12AX7

This is the next most critical tube because it supplies most of the gain. I think Amperex Bugle Boy is the right ticket here. Clear and extended and very neutral.

V3 - 12AT7

Least critical tube in the Tercel. Get a nice Amperex or Mullard but not the more expensive ones. Even a good new EI or EH Gold will work nicely here. Don't spend more than 10% of your 3 tube budget here.

PM'd you a response from a supplier, didn't want to break rules here.

The RCA Blackplates are a very affordable option for the 12AT7s. If you want to spend about $150 you can sometimes find good used Brimar 6060 (12AT7). It's in the top 5 best 12AT7 tube of all-time.They go for over $350 new but are phono grade and last forever. Telefunkens are nice but the ECC801S will cost some change and they are a very nuetral sounding tube but I've never heard of a Bugle Boy described as neutral. Mullards have a smooth, rich and warm sound. Telefunkens tend to be clear and detailed and Bugle Boys are a hybrid of the previous 2 tubes. If you get a Bugle Boy don't get just any, get a long plate!! If buying used be sure to buy from a reputable dealer who doesn't charge a arm and a leg. I don't have knowledge about tubes from heresay or what I read on the internet, rather because I own all of the above mentioned tubes.

G-Man,

I would be very interested in what 12AT7 you believe would be the best in my Tercel 1 with cream that currently runs the RCA Black Plates. My budget would allow any of the ones you mentioned. I have been using a Rega P25 with a Benz Micro H2 wood body cartridge but I am in the process of bringing up a Thorens TD124 / SME 3012 combination (3012 rewired with one continuous string of Cardas 33) with either an Ortofon SPU or a wood body Denon 103r.

The rest of the system is a McIntosh C15 SS pre, McIntosh MC225, Klipsch 1984 Cornwalls with ALK built crossovers.

thanks....charles

I am by no means putting down Telefunkens. I like them in certain applications. I prefer British 12AT7s for phone purposes. The G.E.C. A2900/12AT7 is the best in my opinion but expensive. ($390 s pair for NIB if you can find them). After the A2900s I like the Brimar 6060's Yellow T Label/12AT7. They are rated for 10,000 hrs so even if used have loads of life. Just make sure they have been properly tested. The only person I know who regularly has them is Brent Jesse. You can review info about the tubes at

http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm

Brent might have some used ones also. The Brimar CV455 look like good buys as well as the Mullard 10M series. I've never heard either but Brent only sells the best and if you don't like them can return them for something else. Good luck.