RW10D and wiring

littlejohn

Hi folks,glad to be here. I have quickly read many posts and is seems like a very good place to be.

I am building up my Home T system and while i am running Energy 5.1 e's for the mains, I am looking pretty hard at Klipsch speakers.

Future shop had a pretty good sale this weekend on subs,$500 and with an additional 25% off the sale price I was able to get RW10D for $374.99 (canadian).

Plus I can try them for a month, so there is nothing to lose right??

So I have 2 questions, What DO you guys think of the RW 10d

#2, what wire should I use? I know that the sales types always suggest the $$$ wire, but is it necessary???

Thanks for your help...

welcome! What sort of space is the sub going into (roome volume), and what will it be mated with? I've not heard the rw-10d but I did own the rw-12 for a few years and was nothing but pleased. There's definitely some owners of the 10d on here that should be able to chime in after some additional details..

Cool...is the diff between 24 and 28 hertz significant???

Also the room size...hmmmm..that's tough, its in a loft...the space is around 600 sq feet, with sloping ceilings and one side open. Not the 'best' but the sound is still pretty good with the energy 5.1 e. I just purchase the onkyo and the energies sound better then they did with the old yamaha....but I'll still try out klip mains as well..

BTW thanks for the welcome...don't forget the wire part too LOL

My volume range is (low to high) -38db to +10db

Why woudl you set it at -10 ??

also what do you know about phase?

You need to get an SPL meter and either use your receivers test tones or a calibration disc to set the gain. This will keep you from having too little bass or too much. The object is to try to blend it evenly with your mains. As far as phase goes, you can use your meter to set it, where notes around your crossover point read the highest on the meter when you adjust the phase. That wil show you that the sub and mains aren't cancelling each other out and that they are working together. Once you've got it close with your meter, play some bass heavy music and tweek the gain and phase by ear to what sounds best to you.

Thanks to both of you.

I have a new onkyo 800 series. It has the audusty (spelling) calibration mike. Its that good enough to set up the system?

It set my fronts at -2.5 db and center at -1.5 db and the sub at -12.5 db. This is the setting in the onkyo not the sub itself.

Also perhaps I made an error here, but one of the rubber feet that came with the sub didn't stick so I used 4 felt pads (the kind for furniture) instead of the rubber pads that the sub came with. Will that have an effect at all? I have hardwood floors.

And CEC you mentioned gain..is that the same as 'vol' on my sub?

• 3 weeks later...