Onkyo-TX898

Aaron_DeWitt

I know a lot of people on this board say not to use Onkyo receivers with Klipsch speakers. Music listening is a personal preference and each person hears music a little differently.

With that said I bought an Onkyo TX-DS797 ( after reading all of the negative responses on this board)to use with my KLF-30,s and KLF-C7 , and some JBL surrounds (hope to get some KSP-S6 if I can find for a decent price). I also auditioned the Denon-3802, an HK-AVR-520, and a Yamaha RX-V3000. These were auditioned with Klipsch speakers.

I chose the Onkyo based on sound, features and ease of use. No it's not the best looking receiver in the world, but to me it sounded the best, had the most features I wanted and was the best value of the ones I tested.

I could not tell a major difference between the sound of any of these receivers. And probably if you blind folded people and had them listen to these receivers 95% couldn't tell which receiver they were listening to. Just my two cents.

Benny

I agree with Benny. I choose the Onkyo 797 over the others that have been mentioned to go with my Cornwalls, RC-3II, RB-3's, and a KSW-12. As he said, it's not pretty, but it is sturdy built, and has performed flawlessly since I got it several months ago. I would have like to have gotten the 898 but couldn't justify the $$ for my type of use. Bottom line, you probably wouldn't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned (Denon, HK, or Onkyo).

I too have the Onkyo 787 , I wish I would have gotten the 898 for the upgrade capabilities. I find it more "accurate" than warm. Plenty of power to make klf 30's pound. super quiet fan, ( I had to check with a mirror to see if it was comming on). Very impressive imaging, and the learning remote is indispencable.

------------------

KLF 30s front (Bi-Wired)

KLF 10s rears

KLF C-7 center

KLF C-7 Rear Center

SVS Ultra Sub

Sunfire Sub Amp

Onkyo TX DS787

Onkyo integra M506RS

Onkyo DX C370 6 disc

Monster HTS 3600 Line Cond.

Better Cables Silver wires & connects

Marantz, Denon, and Onkyo, seem to be a staple with Klipsch. If your thinking the Onkyo 797+, think Integra DTR 7.1 or 9.1 also. Regardless, you pay for what you get Smile.gif

I have chosen the Marantz Flagship Reference line with the SR18EX over the Integra DTR 7.1 to go with my Klipsch system. Musically, no A\V Receiver competes to seperates as well as the Reference line of Marantz IMO.

The Marantz 8200 - 9200 are nice A\V Receivers. The 9200 is to undergo major surgery to replace the SR19EX(if you own 1 your fortunate, short lived, 1 yr).

Awesome remotes as well(9200-256 mega pixel of colour), 5200 b&w, 3200 b&w), the 9200 has the RC3200.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 03-25-2002 at 01:34 AM

I have a combination of Onkyo and Denon. I use my Onkyo M504 Dual mono block amp to drive my La Scala's and the Denon AVR3801 to drive everything else and to handle the HT stuff. I use to have all Onkyo seperates but traded in the pre amp and tuner for the denon while retaining the M504. I really like the sound of this amp and since it is very different from what you get in a AV receiver I'm not sure what the Onkyo would sound like. I have run just my Denon without the M504 to see how the sound was and to my surprise it was pretty good...for the test. One day I will upgrade again. As far as quaility and price I think you would be better off with the Denon... IMO

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

My wife and I were in for a new receiver to drive a synergy set (SF-2, SC-1, SS-1, KSW-12).

Auditioned 898 and 3802.

Chose Denon, as the direct mode reveals the Onkyo

to be too strident with the horns. I am a big

Onkyo fan, had it (tz-18) running a pair of AR for

16 years now. But with the Klipsch, for music,

the Denon sounded more comfortable.