KLF-20's/KLF-C7/Surrounds?

badbob

(I sent these questions to "support@klipsch.com" and never received a reply. So now I am forced to consult a "higher" source!!)

1) I am currently using the RCR-5's (8 in. round, 2-way) as my surround speakers. When I installed them in my ceiling I put a cardboard box over the cone portion of the speaker in the attic to protect it from insulation, dust, etc. Is this OK or do I need to un-box them and let them 'breathe'?

2) My front speakers are KLF-20's and center is a KLF-C7. I know that the KSP-S6(?) is/was the 'perfect' surround for my Legend setup. However, since they are no longer made and command too much $$ on eBay (when you can find them!) is my next choice for a surround RS-3 or RS-7?

Thanks in advance

ROCK ON!

I am with JTS8, BadBob... nothing fits with Legends like more Legends. Full-range Legends for surrounds work better with 5.1 and multi-channel music.

KLF-10's for the rear surrounds and rear effects channel with KLF-30 Mains and a KLF-C7 center provided a better solution in my HT room than the di-polar/bi-polar route.

The wide dispersion front and rear with a null toward the sweet spot worked better for narrow channel ProLogic surround sound. I just position my full range speakers about a foot behind my head in the sweet spot and have them facing one another.

5.1 and multi-channel music are built for full-range speakers... and putting six of the same kind of Legends make them an awesome experience. -HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS, FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE STAGE FOR THE "THEATER OF THE MIND"...

KLF-30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF-30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners. Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808 Upscale Monster Cables and Interconnects

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center, '83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. to be determined after long discussions with Klipsch Forum Members.

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge in 8' x 30'... good to be "On the Road Again!"

s>

If you don't have room for another pair of Legend full-range towers in the back (like me), I would suggest going with a pair of RS-3s or RS-7s. I have the RS-7s and they sound great with the KLF-20s and KLF-C7. Actally the KSP-S6 surrounds were not part of the Legend series and don't match them perfectly either. Here is a response I got from Phil. (10/9/2001)

"J Tanman

Actually, there never were any surround speakers designed specifically to match Legends. The best combo with Legends I have heard to date are the RS-7's, even with the tweeter difference the match is surprisingly close. The bass is our deepest yet for a set of surrounds also, so add their higher efficiency to that and you've got some really dynamic table rattling surrounds. If you can still find a KLFC-7 as center, because the center/main timbre match is the most critical, I would lean towards that.

PhilH"(Klipsch moderator)

After about 5 months with this combo, I can agree fully with that. Besides, in all honesty, it's hard to determine perfect timber match when the rear are WDST speakers.

EDIT: I had "RF-3 and RF-7" where is should have read "RS-3 and RS-7". It should make alot more sense now. It really would be interesting to mate RF-7s with KLF-20s, but it wouldn't make much sense.

This message has been edited by J Tanman on 03-25-2002 at 03:02 AM

Rf-7's as rears with Legends? That would be interesting. RS-7's I can see. I had the KSP-S6's as rears with KLF-20's and KLF-C7 and then got another two KLF-20's. Another pair of Legends was MUCH better. The KSP-S6's are overrated with Legends. They were just the best thing available during the Legend's production time (other than using more Legends).

A pair of the KSP-S6's went for over 800 on ebay. This is insane. They were 750 retail when they were available. If you cannot get KLF-10's or 20's, get RS-3's or RS-7's. I would even consider 2 KLF-C7's if you can position them right.

my 2 cents

Yes, how right you are dearlv. I have even tried my pair of KLF-C7's as surrounds... they do quite well... and Academys do event better... but not as well as a Legend that matches the main.

I will say the latest RS-7 is the best WDST effort yet! There is a whole lot more sound aimed toward the sweet spot to handle 5.1 discrete source material. In fact, they are candidates to go into the motorhome to match up with a pair of RB5 II's... or a pair of RC-7's.

Actually, for the motorhome, I would like an RS-7 that could handle rear center duties and be fed either a discrete/matrixed 6.1 or 7.1 configuration. With the left and right discrete going to the left and right wide dispersion speakers and a combined sound matrixed for the woofer in the middle. Yes, I would buy that.

It just seems appropriate to put Reference series in the motorhome since the Legends are in the HT room and the KHorns, Belle, Cornwalls, Academy are assigned to fill the house with two channel or multi-channel music. I am sure glad PWK didn't go to work for Wal-Mart! -HornEd

Hey,I love my KSP-S6's! They provide excellant diffuse surround effects that no monopole can.All surround signals are not supposed to be localizable.Have you ever heard it rain *only* in the left and right rear corners of your room? Hence the "WIDE DISPERSITION" moniker.

To quote Klipsch, "for the first time,rear channel speakers are able to deliver localized sound effects,as well as enveloping the room with ambient sound".I guess that's why Klipsch,and everyone else,is selling the WDST type surrounds.In my set-up, I have matching front and rear L/R monopoles and the S-6's are icing on the cake.Without them,something is missing.

BTW,I would recommend you buy RS-7's too,since Klipsch no longer sells KSP-S6's.

Keith

I think that the type of rear speakers you use are a matter of taste- WDST, dipoles, monopoles. Of course it depends on the room too. KLF-20's just blew away the S6's for me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the S6, just do not pay a fortune for them when the RS3 and RS7 are perfectly viable options. None of them are a "prefect" match. I have never been a big WDST fan, but the RS7 did impress right away when I first heard them. I would bet you can get the RS7 easier and cheaper than S6's too.

I use my Klipsch Synergy Premiere S-6's($340/dealer) with the rest of my Klipsch Synergy Premiere speaker system.The match is unbelievable as are the surround effects.The combination of monopole backs with wide dispersion surrounds are amazing.Klipsch did their homework when they designed this revolutionary HT system! Hey, it's great!

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-A

SONY MDP455 LDP