Power supply capacitors?

I have an integrated amplifier that has two bad power suppy capacitors. The capacitors are 42Volts-6800Uf. They are a 3 pin connector type capacitor. I cannot find 42Volt capacitors anywhere. Could there be another type of capacitor that could be used? Is it possible to use a capacitor with a spec of 63Volts-10000Uf? I have been trying to research this for sometime now and cannot come up with anything. I need some help. Thanks.

Going to a higher voltage capacitor will not be a problem. Only in special cases will raising the capacitance cause an issue, but the 63V 10,000uF cap should probably work in your application. Will they actually fit in the same space?

Btw, keep in mind that you need to get the capacitor polarity correct or they'll explode on you.

How do I determine the correct polarity?

With all due respect, this project may be beyond your range of skills.

At the very least you should be able to discharge the caps with something other than a screwdriver. If you do not know what I mean by this statement, then have someone else do the work for you.

How do I determine the correct polarity?

With all due respect, this project may be beyond your range of skills.

At the very least you should be able to discharge the caps with something other than a screwdriver. If you do not know what I mean by this statement, then have someone else do the work for you.

I was thinking the same thing...

Do you have any buddies that do electronics for a hobby or living? It'd probably be worth your time to have them help you out. For someone that knows what they're doing, choosing the caps and installing them should take about half an hour tops (ignoring the time inbetween for shipping)....and it'd be a good excuse for some beers and listening to some tunes afterwards.

That's not to say you wouldn't be able to learn how to do it yourself, but it would be faster and safer for you and the electronics to have someone show you how to do it in person.

Btw, why do you think the caps are bad? And do you think that's the only thing wrong right now?