JBL 4638/2360 or 2380

Chipp4

Ok guys,

After discovering the JBL tent sale and all the people here that purchased 4638, I also ordered 2 of them. Have not received them yet but am pretty excited about the deal. My question is, has anyone thought about going all the way and getting the horns (model 2360 or 2380) and setting these speakers up like at a theater?

Please no ear damage comments. The model 2360 is a huge horn about 24"x24" and the 2380 is 11"x17". According to JBL the output with the 2446 driver is the same 111dB @ 1w with both horns but the bigger one has better vertical coverage control.

Maybe after this everyone will be selling off their Klipsch speakers (including me) LOL

As I only have one 4648A-8, I am out of luck. The big problem is that horns and horn tweeters are so expensive. I COULD get two 800Hz-15,000Hz horns for $25 each, but they are trash. The JBL horns are SOOOO expensive, I just can't aford them unless they are tent sale. Where would I put them. I could picture two 4638's with 3' X 3' horns on them sitting on my desk, playing Windows and Linux background sounds. I could make my whole house SHAKE everythime I empltied the recycling bin!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

T Brennan,

Do you think the whole JBL route would be quality sound. You know how some people say pro audio equipment is not hifi sounding?

Also, do you or anyone else know why the JBL 8340 surround speakers are relatively small compared to the mains when used in a theater but Dolby 5.1 for home theater says having the same size (for those that don't have a tiny surround system) surround speakers is ultimate?

dndphishin,

You need to look at JBL Pro site under the theater products and look up 4000 series and the combo is renamed 4675 with the 4638/2360 or 4638/2380 components.

I checked under components too and for some reason the 2360 horn is not there (but the 2380 is)they are pretty expensive, just the driver 2446 is about $500 new. I was checking ebay and a couple of people have 2380's with driver for sale much cheaper than new.

I have a pair of Klipsch Epic CF3's and the driver on the horn is tiny compared to the JBL.

Chipp---Pro-sound gear is made in various qualities and for various jobs, the very best sounding was-is that designed for motion picture theater and recording studio use by Altec and JBL. This stuff is much better than the "musician" quality PA stuff you see in Guitar Center. Note that the home horn loudspeakers made by Altec and JBL were simply small-format theater components in furniture cabinets. Also note that the Klipsch Heritage speakers got very good sound using drivers inferior to JBL drivers in quality. The JBL route will certainly give very high quality sound. My own rig is a hybrid of Altec and JBL and several friends use JBL horn rigs. 2 weeks ago I heard a friend's new Pro JBLs smoke his LaScalas, it was no contest. Judging by the sound of most hi-fis I've heard to say that pro gear doesn't sound hi-fi can be taken as a compliment. :-)People that say stuff like that don't know very much about pro-sound gear.

OK, here's the deal. Lice really itch and you need a good shampoo or other topical treatment to get rid of them. Anyway, with pro stuff, you get what you pay for. I can, from Parts Express, get a complete horm tweeter for $25. It will sound like crap. If I buy a top end JBL compression tweeter and a well-mater horn, it will sound BETTER than anything Klipsch makes (IMHO Smile.gif) I believe that the most ACCURATE and HONEST sound is high-end pro or studio equiptment, as it is not "tweaked" to sound "good" at Best Buy or Good Guys. It is a TOOL that a 30 year old guy NEEDS to make a living. What I am saying is that there is not dancing around the Maypole with pro sound. Altering the sound is up the the $4000 EQ, the speakers are just supposed to be accurate and clean.

I believe that for a home audio system, pro is the way to go. When a .75" dome tweeter starts to clip and melt, the JBL or other pro driver will have an ice-cold voice coil while it waits for some REAL power. I love the idea of having a system that could reach 140dB. without distortion and has limitless dynamics. Remember, cheap pro gear is nothing, expensive pro gear could beat the snot out of most any home gear, including Klipsch ( Frown.gif )

I have heard some Genelec 1032AM's (active, $4000 speakers with a 18" JBL sub on the bottom) at a studio in LA, and they sounded heavenly. There is NO EQ or anything between the signal and the cones. They were awsome...

I hear Klipsch is marketing the Reference Series to studios. That would be a great step for Klipsch.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Don't forget a crossover.

------------------