Latest on my ALK upgrade

DTLongo

Al,

I had to get home to dig out one of my referencess to double check...

I'm not sure the current thinking on studio monitoring levels, but there was a time ...

"It appears that 85dB spl is the best monitoring level from the standpoint of minimum change in apparent freq. balance due to a change in playback loudness and softness. The response that is considered flat at 120dB spl changes when it is played back at lower levels. As playback volume decreases, the bass first increases and then begins to decrease, and the output in the presence range begins to fall. So a mix made at 120 dB spl will sound distant and lifeless at lower levels. If the mix is made at 100 dB spl, dips occur in the presence range as monitor volume is decreased, but the most noticeable change is at the low end, where 50 Hz is 12 dB down at 70 dB spl/ If mixed at 85 dB spl, however, playback between 90 and 60 dB spl causes response changes which are less than 5 dB at the extremes of the spectrum and practically no change within the spectrum. THis is a good compromise level for mixing, allowing for a certain amount of variation in playback level by consumers without adversely affecting the sound. ... Conveniently, average home listening levels are in the 75 to 85 dB spl range." (Modern Recording Techniques - Robert E. Runstein / Howard W, Sams & COmpany., Inc.)

This is an old book, and I'm sure Mike could give more current thoughts on control room levels, but I don't think the Fletcher-Munson repsonse curves have changed any over the years.

The speakers that audiophiles listen to typically have their low and high FR already boosted. In the 70s, I remember more than a few loudspeakers that were like that (I'm thinking JBL L100s, perhaps others).Ick!

I believe the JBLs actually had the mids boosted a little bit. I have the pro version of those (4311) and they could be set to flat with no problem. Perhaps you are thinking of Advents, which always seemed pretty dull and laid back. ;-)

Bruce

I believe the JBLs actually had the mids boosted a little bit. I have the pro version of those (4311) and they could be set to flat with no problem.

JBL 4311 anechoic response is shown, however cone- and dome-type speakers don't control their polars very well, resulting in a splash that the ear processes as added response (precedence effect). These areas are usually dialed back a bit using a balancing network. To me, the L100s sounded accentuated on top and bottom end when played in typical concrete-brick-wall dorm rooms...which is where I heard all of them [pi] The bass-reflex woofer+enclosure didn't sound very tight to my ears--thus accentuating their bottom end on bass-heavy source material (IMHO), which was further accentuated by Shure M91ED cartridges that most folks were using at the time.

You're right - I remember the Advents (I only heard one or two pairs of them) sounded much more subdued, but I was referring to speakers that sounded hot on the top and bottom ends, not dull sounding ones.

Chris

post-28404-13819583446752_thumb.jpg

Chris,

I found one of my original docs from my 4311s I purchased in '72. The freq. response chart is smoothed a bit, but you are right that the mids are dropped some, but not as much as the chart you posted. Of course, JBL has he chart 'smoothed' quite a bit. I never had mine in a dorm room or similar environment, either in my own home or at a studio. Part of the problem with them is they don't really have a proper crossover. They sound great in the right setting, but the 5" mid breaks up too soon. Mine are currently being used as my desktop speakers (it's a pretty big desk [:D]).

I definitely like horns a LOT better. Even though they were kinda the bottom of their serious studio speaker line, in their day they sounded pretty good. THe 89 dB efficiency doesn't help them much.

Bruce