External HD for DVR (DTV)

Richard, when an external drive is connected and the DNR/HD is powered up you will boot to the external and all recording on the internal are not seen. If you power down, disconnect and power back up thh internal drive is seen again. One other tidbit, the external drive is not transportable. I changed DVRs and the old data was not visible to the new DVR.

Other than that works great, I have a 1T WD green hd and an ANTEC enclosure. Got them from microcenter in ATL.

Must be eSATA enclosure. I plug the eSATA cable into my eSATA port, plug the other end into the enclosure and then connect the enclosures wall wart power supply. Whala!

Somehow I have confused some people into thinking I understand much of this [:o]

the DNR/HD is powered

Gotcha, but have no clue what a DNR/HD is (other than HD is probably hard drive)

In my world, DNR means "Do Not Reduce" or in the medical power of attorney I have, Do Not Resuscitate.

I do however, understand the logic that once powered up the DVR will see either the new external hard drive or, if you disconenct it, it will see the original.

I changed DVRs and the old data was not visible to the new DVR.

They seem to format/encode the specific hard drive to a specific DVR unit? So, you are committed on keeping the two of them married as long as you want to use the external drive?

1T WD green hd

1 Terabyte Western Digital. Do they come in red or blue or am I stuck with green? [:P]

Got them from microcenter in ATL.

This is starting to help. Meaning.... is this a place I could call and simply give them a credit card number and "X" days later my needs would be delivered to me?

Must be eSATA enclosure

I've read where it must be an eSATA hard drive. I do not understand what the enclosure would be nor why a hard drive would know/care what it is encased in. I think I'm missing something here as well [8o|]

I plug the eSATA cable into my eSATA port, plug the other end into the enclosure and then connect the enclosures wall wart power supply.

wall wart power supply might mean a 12 volt converter?

Whala!

This is the music I want to hear!

the DNR/HD is powered

Gotcha, but have no clue what a DNR/HD is (other than HD is probably hard drive)

I don't either so I must have meant DVR / Hard Drive)

They seem to format/encode the specific hard drive to a specific DVR unit? So, you are committed on keeping the two of them married as long as you want to use the external drive?

,Br>

Yes, but you can move the external one to another DVR and use it there (without the previously recorded data)

Must be eSATA enclosure

I've read where it must be an eSATA hard drive. I do not understand what the enclosure would be nor why a hard drive would know/care what it is encased in. I think I'm missing something here as well Super Angry

The enclosure basically powers the hard drive (and sometimes has active cooling) the eSATA (external Serial ATA) is the only protocol that DTV DVRs will speak.

I have this case http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosures-hard_drive/mx-1/0-761345-77150-4.aspx

Edit: I had my hard drive wrong; it's a 2 terabyte: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

and you can get the enclosure there too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371008&Tpk=MX-1