Heresy II good buy?

aaronram

There is a local church that just had their audio system upgraded and they are selling 3 Heresy II for $900 for all three. From the serial numbers, I got that the speakers were built in 1998. The speakers are cosmetically in good shape except that four holes were drilled through the cabinets on the back to ceiling mount them. For the most part the speakers were just used for Sunday service with the occasional music from a tape deck.

My intension in to use them as a 3.1 system when watching movies and2.0 for music. Would these be a good buy?

I plan to power them with a rotel 956 SS amp with intent to later upgrade to a tube amp. Currently I have an Outlaw 950 pre-amp.

Thanks

I would say it is a bit on the high side in the overall market. I'd suggest a counter offer of $500 and settle on $600 or so.

That will be okay, and IMHO, fair.

My reasoning is that the alternative for both parties is an e-Bay sale. That has overhead with shipping and packaging costs, risk of the quality of the seller and buyer, and the risk of quality of the units themselves. These risk factors chew into the benefits to buyer and seller.

I don't know how much the relation between you and the church will come into play. Maybe the pastor will not like the hard core horsetrading aspect, and might challenge the intangible value of risk on either side described above.

If so, let me suggest that you and the pastor work out some additional item to the bargain. Maybe you have something to donate to the church, or the church has something to give to you to put into the "pot" - - - which is of intangible value. Maybe services or another piece of gear. That way the deal doesn't seem quite as mercinary.

Wm McD