Cornwall II's or KLF-20/30 for Mac MC 30's

I have a pair of vintage McIntosh MC30 tube amps (telefunken pre's, JJ power) and I'm trying to decide between a set of Cornwall II's and KLF-20's or 30's. I am a bachelor with virtually unlimited space so the size of the speaker isn't an issue. I like the fusion of horn-loaded drivers and modern tower speaker design in the KLF's, but I'm drawn to the Cornwalls because of their sheer size.

They will be in a 12x15ft room along the short wall.

So I guess my first question is, which speaker will sound the best with the MC 30's?

My second question is, does the larger mid horn on the KLF have better dispersion?

While I have no direct experience with the MC/KLF combo. I do have much feedback from my customers on the MC-30/Cornwall combo. I'd say it would be very hard to beat that combo... So my advise is go with the known working combo and get some Cornwall's.

You might want to send Audible Nectar (Dave) a note he has tons of expereince with the Cornwall/MC-30 combination.

Good Luck Craig

I have NO experience with KLF20s or 30s whatsoever - but have lots of experience with MC30's on Heritage - that is, Cornwalls and Belle Klipsch.

The MC30s on Heritage is a classic combination/synergy, one I chased down and meticulously preened over several years of trials (and with much help here on forum, including Joe and Craig). I spent three years investigating the best way to put the MC30s (I have two operating sets) and Heritage together, including such meticulous details as capacitors, tubes, and crossover networks.

The MC30s on Heritage present a midrange and life that some people will chase from all corners of the globe. While it might not be as technically audiophile correct as modern gears can be, the sound has a life and tonality that is very unique to the combo, and ideal for those older classic recordings that need a little lift. Particularly when outfitted with Telefunken 12AX7s in all the positions, the midrange comes through with a "bring dead recordings to life" quality that is unique in the audio world. I LOVE what the vintage Mac rigs do for those older recordings, and is the primary reason I will never part with them. While the bass response below 50 hz and the treble above 12K could be picked apart if you really wanted to make that case, what is happening in between - from 50 to 12KHZ - is as addictive as any opiate. And ESPECIALLY if you use a Mac tube preamp, like an MX110 or C22.

One exception or "notable" that I think worth discussing is the topic of bass response. MC30s aren't so much for the "bass head" - one looking to play Metallica, King Crimson, or other material with "violent" bass (and this seems to be much of the KLF "demographic", although not "exclusively"). This is a bit of a tradeoff you accept with the all tube rectified setup....but in return you will get a tuneful, warm, full, well rounded bass that works very well for most music. The vintage Mac setups excel with most of what I listen to; material as varied as Miles Davis, Weather Report, Paul Simon, Steely Dan, ZZ Top (Deguello never sounded like this), Dire Straits, and so forth. And HIGHLY recommended with vinyl.

I also have several other amps in the stable, including a pair of NOSValves VRD amplifers (KT88), which are my "reference standard audophile" choice in tube amplification, which can pretty much handle anything you throw at them. Might be the best bass amplifers in any tube amp of similar power, and superb clarity (IOW, audiophile "correct" in every sense, and at all frequencies). Between the two MC30 pairs and the VRDs I have ALL bases covered with respect to every desireable trait I'm looking for in 2 channel tube amps.

I would also not restrict you to the Cornwalls for speakers either - consider LaScalas or Belle Klipsch if you can swing it. I wouldn't discourage you from KLF specifically, either, they have a good overall reputation here as a good overall speaker. But the Heritage on these amps are tried and true - in fact, one of the best combinations in audio history.