New Klipsch Cornwall Owner

Greetings everyone. I have recently acquired a set of Klipsch Cornwalls CWO and have spent many hours pouring over the various posts here at the forum. So far, I love them. I have had a number of different speakers over the years and heard many more through friends. These sound fantastic. I got them from the original owner who purchased them in March 1979 and the serial numbers indicate these have to be very late 1978 models. I do have a couple questions and observations.
1. Reading about a set of early 1979 Cornwalls, I learned the letters stamped into the top left of the speaker when looking at the back indicate the person who assembled the speakers and who did the final sanding. It would appear mine were assembled by Andy and his newly hired helper Steve (according to a thread from 2002 here on the forum) and the letters are vertical rather than horizontal, something Andy indicated Steve did occasionally as he was learning. I wonder how many pairs of speakers went out this way?
2. In the another thread from 2002, someone mentioned finding an ad for the Cornwall II in the original paperwork. I also have the original paperwork from 1979 and I also have a Cornwall II ad but these speakers predate the Cornwall II, with the exception of the original Cornwall II from the early 70's. Was the II in development in the late 70's but not officially released until 1984?
I am very happy to be a Klipsch owner finally.
Thank you and I am glad to be here.
Jay

Welcome to the forum.

If you've already discovered threads that include input from Andy, aka HDBRbuilder, as well as serial number decoding info, you're well ahead of the curve. Unless Andy happens to see your thread, it's unlikely that you'll receive a definitive answer.

Perhaps Bob Crites, aka BEC on this forum, could help with the date isssue. In any case, you might want to eventually consider refreshing the caps in the balancing networks; Bob could also help with that.

Enjoy them. They're great speakers.

I have read some information about the original Cornwall II but the advertisement with my paperwork had to be from around 1979. I thought it was a fluke and perhaps the original owner had picked up some information years later but then I found the other post on here from someone with a set from 1979 and was also in possession of the same flyer.

One other question that occurred to me. I have seen serial numbers on 1976 Cornwalls starting with "8" so the 8th group of 1000 produced since the beginning of the Cornwall. Then I see mine starting with "18" by the end of 1978 and "22" in 1979. Was there a major marketing effort during the late 70's to thrust the production of the Cornwall up to 5000 units/year compared to prior years? I love mine but I also know what the original owner paid in 1979 so it is not as though the price dropped making them more affordable to the masses. Just curious what happened.

• 7 months later...