In-wall subwoofer wiring help

mactimbo64

Hi all,

Well, I won my bid for a Sub-12 and it arrives tomorrow so I need to run my cabling for it in-wall. I bought a Monster SW-600 sub cable (26') with RCA connectors on both ends that I was planning to terminate at a wall plate near the receiver and then use a shorter cable from wall plate to receiver. On the sub end I was planning to just let the wire come through the wall all the way to the sub...no wall plate. However....after I ran the cable through the walls, I noticed the in-wall side of the sub connection on the wall plate was a COAX connection like cable TV rather than RCA. I could get adapters at Radio Shack to go from RCA to Coax or switch out the connector to RCA on both sides of the wall plate but I'm just not sure which is best or if all those connections will introduce interference or signal loss. I have read on some other threads that people have used standard RG6 cable TV COAX for subs but could not tell if folks thought that was better than using a sub cable like the SW-600. At this point, I have not drywalled so I can easily run whatever cabling is best. What would you suggest as the best method of going from receiver to sub via in-wall cabling? Use wall plates (extra connection points) or just run one cable all the way from receiver to sub? I like the idea of a nice clean installation of the wall plates...especially if we sell the house down the road, it would be nice to not have cables dangling out of the wall....but my priority is getting the best possible sound.

Thanks for your help!

HT rookie....

~Tim

• Moderators

Congrats on the new purchase Tim.

Not sure what you paid for the Monster cable but for future cable purchases, be sure to check out www.monoprice.com. They have a 25' sub cable for $6.24 or a 35' for $8.12. They also sell wallplates also if you need to replace the plate.

I'm not a fan of adapters and connectors but I doubt you will hear any sonic difference if you choose to use a wallplate vs going straight from receiver to sub.

If you already have the sub cable, you could simply replace the connectors on the wall plate to RCA. Not sure if Monoprice sells the connectors separately or not.

Oh my God. (insert long healthy string of profanity here....) I spent over $60 for that cable and I could've gotten one for the price of a good burger!?!?! I have so much to learn. I think I'll just replace the connections at the wall plate and go RCA....or order the 35' Monoprice cable for a whopping $8.12 and avoid all connections. Then chalk up the Monster cable ripoff as a lesson learned. Wow. Thanks for your help!! ~Tim

Oh my God. (insert long healthy string of profanity here....) I spent over $60 for that cable and I could've gotten one for the price of a good burger!?!?! I have so much to learn. I think I'll just replace the connections at the wall plate and go RCA....or order the 35' Monoprice cable for a whopping $8.12 and avoid all connections. Then chalk up the Monster cable ripoff as a lesson learned. Wow. Thanks for your help!! ~Tim

I love it when the light goes on.

well everyone has to learn sometime! lol

if your a normal person, with normal gear, in a normal room, it doesn't matter what you connect to the sub. you won't be able to hear a difference. don't forget to buy yourself a Hard Y adapter at monoprice too. the reason is, klipsch sets their subs up like most. you have a red and white (lfe) input. when the sub sees that only 1 input is being used, it reads it as such: 2 inputs, 1 signal, = 1/2 signal. if you put a Y adapter on it, it reads it 2 by 2 = 1. try it out, it gets louder with the adapter.

my elemental designs A2-300 sub worked the same way. i now have a sunfire 12" true sub and it doesn't work like that. i think a good rule of thumb is, if you can connect the hard Y adapter, then you need it.

i did speaker to klipsch about this, so i am sure the info is correct.

I run Blue Jeans sub cable from amp to wall outlet. Then RG-6 approx 35-50 feet in wall and under floor to other side of family room. Then pop back out and back to Blue Jeans cable again to SVC PC-Ultra. Adapters as required to make everything play. RG-6 left over from running cable to all the bedrooms. Sounds good to me.

Exactly the information I needed. These forums are great...I can't thank you all enough!

Still stewing over spending that much for a cable...especially when I too, have more then enough left over RG-6 from running cable to the bedrooms. Aaaargh.