Pseudo-5.1

How would this work for a make-do home theater set-up?

6 satellites, 1 sub.

Run 2 pro satellites from each of the front channels. 1 r/l pair will be the front surrounds, the other r/l pair would be a pseudo-center.

Use the standard rear surrounds 1 speaker per channel.

I propose this for watching movies in a larger room. In my living room the viewing area is about ten feet from the screen. If I separate the front sats by more than about 3.5 feet the sound isn't nearly as good. Thus, I've currently got a pseudo-center without front surrounds.

I assume that all of the 2 sat/channel fronts would get 30 W max. Hopefully this will be loud enough without distorting. Additionally the front surrounds would not be true surrounds since they'd play dialogue.

Anyone think this is a bad idea? If so, why?

The only problem I see with it is in impedences. If you hook up the extra sats to the same connectors as the left and rights (i.e., "in parallel") it will load down the amplifier and possibly cause overheating and therefore permanent damage. You could wire them up "in series" and it would work safely and effectively, but it will run quieter. You would get probably about 20 Watts into each front speaker (this may be enough..?..).

The best way to do this is to get another 4.1 and use one set across the front, and one set in the rear.

That would be right. Yes, both sats would be the same loudness.

Do you have the extra sats, or are you planning on using other (non-ProMedia) speakers? While that would be safe, the frequency response (i.e. sound) from each speaker would likely be a little strange.

Won't hurt to try, though.

"Won't hurt to try, though" That's what I thought. It's an interesting diversion from studying biochemistry anyway.

I tried a quick feasibility test with music yesterday, and they still seemed quite loud to me. I'll let you know what I think after trying a movie. If it works, this could be a cheap alternative for those who want to fill a room with sound, but aren't too picky about their 5.1.

No, I don't have any extra promedia sats. For now I'll use either some silly little harman kardon speakers that shipped with my pc or a pair of old kenwood car audio 6x9's for the rear surrounds. If it works I might persuade my wife that we need a new pair of Quintets!

Oh yeah, there was someone on this BB a while back thinking about selling promedia satellites. Are you still out there?

And Hofy, how do I go about patenting Heph's Fake 5.1? (with significant royalties going to Dan, of course)

------------------

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Wow! Thanks, Klipsch!

The amp easily powers 2 sats/channel with plenty of loudness to spare. biggrin.gif

Testing "Heat" with 4 sats across the front, lefts in series and right in series, both sounds and looks impressive. Haven't tried adding the rear surrounds yet, but I wasn't worried about them anyhow. Had to turn down the sub of course.

I'll bet you could run another 4 sats off the rear 2 channels and be in 8.1 heaven! biggrin.gif

I was the guy planning on selling off individual satelites because I was planning on replaceing them with quintets. Decided I would avoid the potential conflicts (with all this talk about the 8kOhms getting less power per sat) so I went off and ordered the 4.1's. Now I'm selling off my entire v2 400 as the set so I won't be selling individual sats sorry. wink.gif

-Gxcad

c>