Question about DVD settings

dtel

• Moderators

Sometimes I want to play a concert DVD in 2 channel, the setting is always PCM. I know what PCM stands for and I thought it was equal/same as CD quality. That's fine if that's what it is but I thought a DVD was better quality than CD, it sounds like it to me.

Is the DVD part of the recording better quality ?

If it is I am loosing some quality switching it to PCM for 2 CH, also when I switch just the receiver to just stereo and leave the DVD on 5.1 I also seem to lose some quality.......or is it in my head ?

This has been bothering me for a while and I never asked. [:$]

Only way a DVD is better than a CD is with multi-channel DTS or Dolby Digital, and even then you are hearing a compressed audio track. PCM, whether 2 or multi-channel will always be the best on a DVD.

If you're listening to music in 2 channel mode, don't have the DVD on a surround mode. Just listen to it in stereo mode. Your receiver is trying to jam all 5.1 signal into 2 if you try and feed it a 5.1 signal and tell it you want it just in 2 channel.

• Moderators

Only way a DVD is better than a CD is with multi-channel DTS or Dolby Digital, and even then you are hearing a compressed audio track. PCM, whether 2 or multi-channel will always be the best on a DVD.

If you're listening to music in 2 channel mode, don't have the DVD on a surround mode. Just listen to it in stereo mode. Your receiver is trying to jam all 5.1 signal into 2 if you try and feed it a 5.1 signal and tell it you want it just in 2 channel.

Thanks, on the second part about the receiver trying to jam 5.1 into 2 Ch is what I thought, it almost sounds like it's missing some of the info.

Probably what I am hearing is the difference from DTS or DD to PCM, the DTS definitely sounds better to me. My bigger speakers have a better sound then the Forte ll's but I am losing some quality when I switch to PCM. [:@]

Is all of this the same with Bluray, do you even get a choice of stereo or multi channel ?

Thanks

• Moderators

Strange the way things happen.

Netflix came today and I never opened them until a little while ago, one was Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's.

I had seen part of it the other day on HD Net I think it was, so I put it on the list. I went to listen to a little of it tonight and for the FIRST TIME EVER I noticed it gave me a choice of Dolby Digital Stereo and not PCM !

I couldn't believe it I had just asked about this this evening, strange, To me it DID sound better than PCM.

I can listen with a little more volume tomorrow when everyone is awake, nice concert either way. [Y]

Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's

I'll have to add that to the list, thanks...

I can listen with a little more volume tomorrow when everyone is awake

With those speakers, are you referring to the people from the next town.... [:P]

James

• Moderators

With those speakers, are you referring to the people from the next town.... Stick out tongue

Only if I put them outside, last night I had it low but it still sounded better than PCM.

If you like Jeff Becks style of music you will love this DVD, he sure can get every last sound out of a guitar.

Review section

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/121852.aspx

Is all of this the same with Bluray, do you even get a choice of stereo or multi channel ?

Thanks

A lot of music Blu-Ray discs will give you a couple different audio options. Most commonly I've seen either PCM stereo or a surround format such as DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc.