pioneer monitor 10

Thaddeus Smith

sold my headphone stuff to replace a dead PS3 earlier this year and been missing it ever since. I've been playing around with vintage pioneer cans off e-bay and settled on a pair of se-4 monitors as my "travel" pair. I had heard of the Monitor 10's and their reputation, but never could find a pair in good enough shape to justify the cost (they avg. about $100) ..just before my trip I found a pair in what appeared to be exceptional condition and a BIN of $65.

Got them in yesterday and the only issue was that the right channel cut in and out. I had hoped to keep them stock, but with the sound issue I went ahead and did a full recable. They sound superb and I certainly don't miss my beyerdynamics anymore. It's amazing how well 30yr old headphones can perform; with the recable and some lambskin pad covers they shoud last another 30.

monitor-1.jpg

monitor-2.jpg

monitor-3.jpg

• 7 years later...

Having just found this thread via a yahoo search for stone tablet reviews of these cans I grabbed at the flea on Sunday- must say that yes, these Mon 10s (originals, as I get this set to be, vs revs) are a lot of fun. $15 and some d.i.y. screws plus nifty little brass knurley nut dealies to supplant those slick little chrome jobs that were falling out, and now I can even knock them down into flat mode for travel. I had used Beyers as well, but got tired of steaming my ears out, but these guys are really nice (of late have been getting tired of the bass in some stuff- even the cheaper Senns are a little too boom for mix and I'd be getting lopsided on the take if I didn't compensate for such stuff). Good call, Mr. T

1 hour ago, KlipsALot said:

Having just found this thread via a yahoo search for stone tablet reviews of these cans I grabbed at the flea on Sunday- must say that yes, these Mon 10s (originals, as I get this set to be, vs revs) are a lot of fun. $15 and some d.i.y. screws plus nifty little brass knurley nut dealies to supplant those slick little chrome jobs that were falling out, and now I can even knock them down into flat mode for travel. I had used Beyers as well, but got tired of steaming my ears out, but these guys are really nice (of late have been getting tired of the bass in some stuff- even the cheaper Senns are a little too boom for mix and I'd be getting lopsided on the take if I didn't compensate for such stuff). Good call, Mr. T

• 1 year later...