Soundbar Advice

jbd

While I am very pleased with my Klipsch system, I am soliciting some advice for my brother. He recently purchased a Samsung LED TV, and was looking into HT options. The layout of his Greatroom make it near impossible to wire for surround sound w/o major construction. I suggested a soundbar, and although Klipsch doesn't seem to produce one, I am looking for some advice on what he might be able to do in terms of surround.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Two kick arse mains and a great center would easily equal any sound bar in my opinion.

I believe a sound bar's advantage is to really minimize space consumption and minimize the visual impact of speakers in a room. (clean lines; small footprint).

I have heard these; and while better than TV speakers; I do not think they can compare.

My .02.....

Good Luck!

All good advice. I am not sure what his budget is or how thrilled the wife will be to start adding speakers. While this may open up a whole new thread, any advice on fronts and a center?

The TV is on a table/stand but there is not a ton of room in front of the tv for a center. Thats why the soundbar is attractive - a little slimmer.

• Like 1

If he is set on buying new..... His budget will directly influence advice.

If he can find used; a whole other world awaits.....

(My signature; every speaker I own was purchased used; my Heresies cost $250; the SS3s were $120; the KV3 wound up being FREE; but can be had from $80-$120; and my receiver was only $150, my sub was $80, the KG 1.5s were $25 and will require a $30 tweeter diaphragm).

As you can see this is 50-80% savings over having purchased these new. (Gotta keep looking dilligantly)

My system is not considered ideal as different lines are mixed (Heritage, KG). Ideally your friend would want all the same line of speaker.

Good Luck.

I think Yamaha originated the sound bar concept, and they have a few models. It seems that if you want good surround effects with a sound bar, it really helps if the room is symmetrical in shape.

Some discussions here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34127

Info from Yamaha: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/soundprojectors/

Comparisons: http://web3.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/2756/7-soundbars-simple-to-luxe-yamaha-ysp-4000-page6.html

Keep in mind that you're paying for convenience, not sound quality. You can spend less for some conventional speakers and get much better sound.