heresy III matching

annexus

It depends on your pe-amp, or integraed amplifier. bowever connectivity would not be an issue. Better yet, look for a nice vintage pair of forte II. INMHO the best "Value vs. Footprint vs. Price".

Perhaps the best imaging as well. The forte II bass response will null any need for a sub for music only. I have a sup with my forte II's for 2.1 movie watching only. The forte II is a step up from the Heresey III in overall sound and bass. Can pick up a mint pir of forte II's on ebay right now for about $600-700 in original boxes.

Take a look at the forte II forum board on this website and see what others have to say about the mighty forte II!

i 'll use it mostly for vinyl records with the tube amplifier mentioned above and for jazz music.

i am not a technician and it gets me to doubt if heresys are the right for me having to add a subwoofer.

i have no idea where to connect one and where to place it (infront of my system is not an option).

Again;

My recomendation fo you is a pair of forte II speakers. They retailed for about $1000.00 -$1200.00 a pair in the late 80's to mid 90's. If they were made today, they would probably be about $1200.00 a piece.

Following are the specs. The forte II has the tractrix mid-range horn, which is outstanding not only for Jazz but all genres of music. Many on this forum claim that the reason they were axed was that they "Canibilized" the Cornwall market. For the music you listen to you will not be diapointed. If you do not overpay, depending on condition a fair value on the used market is $300-$650 a pair. You can always sell for what you payed if unhappy, but that probably will not happen!

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts
peak)
SENSITIVITY 99dB @ 1watt/1meter
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 119dB SPL
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY HF 7,000 Hz
LF 650 Hz
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 119dB SPL
TWEETER K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm
compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
MIDRANGE K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm
compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn
WOOFER K-25-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite
cone active / KD-15 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction
(MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via passive radiator
DIMENSIONS 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.9cm) x
12.25" (31.1cm)
WEIGHT 67 lbs. (30.42kg)
FINISHES Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished
Black
BUILT FROM 1989
BUILT UNTIL 1996

your comments about forte II make me very curious about them.

what i did not mention, is that i am in greece,which makes it difficult to find a decent pair of forte II.

even in ebay i have to trust a seller' s description about condition and the packaging materials he will use for the long journey of the speakers to me.

the other thing is that i ll put them in a new house that i 'm moving soon.

so,i ll have to get a factory new product(but i ll keep an eye for forte II too).

so the question is :

is heresy III an appropriate buying for my amplifier?

It is. However for good bass response you may need to add a sub-woofer
as others have mentioned. Heresy
is a very good speaker. It really depends on personal taste. What is nice about the
forte II is the mid range horn, and the 15" passive radiator for deeper bass response.

Everything
in audio is "Subjective" not everyone hears the same thing. So, I
would go with the Heresy III's if you like, see how they work, and
decide after time whether or not a sub is required from "Your
Standpoint".

Any 2 channel preamp/amp can tie in a sub. If you
send me a picture of the back of your preamp and amp, I can tell you how
to connect the sub.

Welcome to the forum!

Heresy IIIs were redesigned about 4 years ago (I believe it's 4 years ago, thus the designation HIII).

They have very much improved bass response. They also are improved in the midrange and highs.

They are better in every way compared to HIs or HIIs.

I think you would be very happy with them; and they can thump nicely compared to HIs and HIIs, without a sub.

Forte or Forte IIs are more bassy; and sound great. The IIs with the Tractix horns really shine.They are taller and require a bit more room.... You will have difficulty getting a good pair in Greece (unless you are willing to spend at least half the purchase price in addition for shipping, maybe even more.....).

I believe HIIIs with a sub can match or possibly exceed the Forte/ Forte II sound..... I have HIs and I often do 2 channel with my sub off.... depends on the artist; style of music; etc.Heresies LOVE tubes.... thats what everyone says.

Also; each speaker has it's own "style"; they both sound great; but slightly different.

This is my opinion; and if possible; listen to them both and decide for yourself. I have.....

i have now ordered a new pair of hereys III.

i am going to receive them in about a week.

i know like any machinery that they need a period to adjust their parts.

then i may need your help to connect a subwoofer,since i am completely ignorant in technical issues(but very well informed in music!)

thanks to all of you for your help!

dimitris

www.vinylkiosk.com