Direct sunlight on Heresy III or Cornwall speakers

Radmanna

Hello.

Stoking some thoughts about setting up a minimum of left/right speakers for our 52" HDTV. If I do, the left speaker will be beside a floor-to-ceiling plate glass wall that faces the east, and will get direct sunlight all morning. How much of an issue is it, to have the wood chassis speakers such as Heresy III and Cornwall, in direct morning sunlight, every morning of the year?

Is there recommended maintainence to repair the wood from recurring direct sunlight, or is it common to just protect the wood by draping a cloth over the speaker chassis?

Another possible issue, but perhaps not. In the Michigan winters, the plate glass would be icy to the touch, but doesn't realy convect cold air into the living room where the speaker would be. Comments about this Michigan issue welcomed.

Thanks

I expect there is a good possibility that prolonged exposure to sunlight will bleach the stain used on the speaker box. I have avoided exposing my Heritage speakers to sunlight. OTOH, I have seen bleaching / fading on other furniture. This was from years of exposure while sunlight came through 1973 vintage double-pane windows. More modern glazing should reduce the amount of sunlight but it is probably a factor nonetheless.

There are a few woodworking dyes which are advertised as resisting fading. Whether Klipsch uses these I don't know, but they are not crowing about it if they are. Therefore, I'd use the towel (or something nicer) approach.

For what it is worth, maybe this is an opportunity to invest in some drapes, sheers, and / or blinds as part of an effort to cut down on a.c. and heat issues in the abode in general. Heavy material can lead to some acoustic improvement.

Temperature should not be much of an issue. Many of us have had speakers in storage where temps get very low and I've never heard of any problems.

Wm McD

You might try one of the various "window films" that can be used to treat windows. Most provide some measure of safety from glass breakage, but they will also cut down on the glare, UV and heat gain into a room... which will help prevent fade.

When my house was built 12 years ago I had some put on all of my windows. It makes quite a difference with the radiant heat coming into a room (I also have blinds). I can't really comment on the UV fade protection, as I keep the blinds closed on those windows that get direct sunlight. I can comment on the safety aspect though... someone tried to break into my home by throwing half a brick at one of my windows. The brick shattered the outer double pane, but stopped when it hit the inner pane (which had the film on it). Although the inner pane was broken, the film held all the glass in place and was not penetrated. And living in North Texas, I figure I'm also safe from all but the largest hail stones.

Here's a link to the 3M brand... I can't remember which film I used, but I believe most of the name brands should be pretty equal.

Jokingly: Just rotate the left and right speakers every month so they 'wear' together.

Seriousness from my boat experience. The Suns UV eats away about 2 layers of varnish every year apparently. Then again, the wood is direct sunlight most of the day, not just morning. I also think, that morning Sun is less strong then sun at like 11-2, ever notice how you feel it more at those times when getting a tan or catching rays.

The window film sounds like your best option to help block the UV.

Jokingly: Just rotate the left and right speakers every month so they 'wear' together.

Actually, I'm now making my plans aound the Heresy speakers, which would require less maintenance-input from me than the Cornwalls, regarding the sunlight. I would like to see the H3's on display, and not covered with a cloth like I was considering. So, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to rotate the L/R H3's annually.

Are there recommended wood preservatives that I could perhaps apply to the chassis of the (walnut finish) Heresy speakers, a few times a year, to minimize sun fade and to bring out the walnut finish of the speakers?

Are there recommended wood preservatives that I could perhaps apply to the chassis of the (walnut finish) Heresy speakers, a few times a year, to minimize sun fade and to bring out the walnut finish of the speakers?

Nothing you wipe on is going to help much unless you leave the towel on the speaker when you are done. Any real UV protection would mean a refinish or at the least a new top coat. Of the ones I have used, I would not like any of the marine UV finishes on my speakers as they added a definate amber tone to the finish. That is a fine and an expected result for my boat but not my speakers. Some say they are "clear" but aren't really. Other folks might know some that are. Even with the wood protected if the fabric gets any sun it will eventually fade and turn to dust, or as in my case years ago (on non-klipsch) actually get brittle.

The film is a great idea if you can stop 100% of the UV. UV rays are the strongest from 10 to 3 so that Eastern sun will be hitting that speaker pretty hard. Personally, I would want the film AND the cloth drapped over the speaker side. I am hoping to get some film installed on my windows as I am getting some short midday exposure to sun on a pair of mine. I have plenty of pictures of their current state and will be able to see any changes over time. Now I have to get a ladder tall enough to get to those windows!

Or, as an alternative, maybe you could put your wife's greatgrandmother's handmade quilt and quilt rack between the speaker and the window to give some shade. [^o)]

For what it is worth.

I believe it is not a UV issue. Ordinary glass is a good blocker. This was mentioned by Richard Feynman when he watched the first A-Bomb through an automobile windshield. This may be why ski resorts don't set up tanning areas in a greenhouse. OTOH the bulbs in tanning beds and UV lamps, I think, have bulbs with special glass or very thin glass.

Films may help because they block and or reflect normal light.

Wm McD