Up two 240 input volts on a projector???

Coytee

My brother in law (electrician) called. He said his projector (Epson) said somewhere that it would run anywhere from 90 to 240 volts.

Can this be accurate?

I rephrased it to him and said "You mean you can plug that into my dryer outlet???" and he said that is what it said.

Went on to say that because of UL approval, it should also be able to operate within 10% variance of that so it should actually work with anywhere from 81 volts to 264.

Do they simply add something inside of these to automatically detect and choose the input voltage?

I asked him why did he even care (since we have 110 here in the US)

Going back to my other threads about carrying power out to our field, he said because this would allow him to use 240 out there and be sure that he'd have sufficient power for it.

(not sure that anything else around here would work on 240 but I thought this was an interesting concept)

Thoughts??

All sorts of "smart" elec. devices out there these days. Some welders will happily take single or 3 phase. 120, 240v or 480v, etc. There are even variable frequency drives now that will take 120v single phase in (typical wall receptacle) and put out 240v three phase! Now that's pretty amazing.

"I asked him why did he even care (since we have 110 here in the US)"

Yes and that's an interesting way to put it since my 110v actually measures about 127v typically. Also here in the US 110v, 120v, and 125v all mean the same thing now. IIRC the 110v was the original and over time the voltage has increase with technology?

A switch-mode power supply would allow for any voltage for an input, depends on the projector design (read the label).

Nominal line voltage in the USA is 123V, and not considered over voltage until 127V.

I would put one blower on each leg, all the audio on one leg, and the
projector on the other leg.