New La Scala Owner - Crossover and Amp Questions

Y2alstott

I bought a set of Mid 80's La Scalas with the AL x-over and one had a blown tweeter. Is it worth putting a new diaghram in or do I just get some CT125's? If I go that way do I upgrade to a A4500 x-over or go back to an A or AA? I know it is subjective but if I replace the tweeters do I just go for the 4500 x-over.

Now for amplification. I only have SS amps because I am only recently getting into 2 channel audio. I have an Acurus A150, Rotel 993, B&K AV2500, and a Parasound 1206. The 1206 is for my 5 channel Forte HT setup.

From what I hear a tube amp in the 10 wpc range is the way to go with the Heritage line of speakers. I have read some good things about the 300b tube amps. I now understand that this stuff is far from inexpensive. Even though I have a lot of equipment I am very thrifty. Let's just say I won't lose money on any of my stuff for many years. I want a good tube amp setup for my La Scalas but don't want to go broke doing it.

If anyone here is in central Wisconsin I would love to hear a demo of La Scalas and some tube setups.

Also the Acurus, Rotel, and B&K could be offered in a trade for a tube amp.

Thanks for any info and help.

Just so I know you know....

Regarding the blown tweeter.... I've never heard the CT so can't answer that. Depending on how much you want to put into these and how much you really want to improve them verses simply restoring them (their sound), do a lookup on "Jubescala".

If you want to push their sound further up the scale, look into the small K510 horn or huge K402 and take your LaScalas to a 2-way with active setup. Most expensive and most improvement in my opinion.

You could put a tube amp on the HF horn and a solid state on the LF horn and have the best of both worlds!

From what I hear a tube amp in the 10 wpc range is the way to go with the Heritage line of speakers.

That's one way to go, but any clean-sounding amp will do a good job with Heritage speakers. As Coytee mentioned, there's always the JubScala option, meaning two-way, bi-amped with an electronic active crossover and Jubilee tweeters, either the small K510 horn or the giant K402, both with the K-69 driver. I've had the 510 setup for a couple of years and it sounds great, if you want to take it that far. You can see the components listed in my sig line.

For now, I'd suggest you just replace both tweeters with CT125s and try your various amps with the speakers and see which of them sounds best to you. It's better to research and find out how to get to your intended destination in the fewest steps, rather than buying this and that as you learn and spend unnecessary money in a series of incremental upgrades.

I currently am using an Acurus Act 3 for my 2 channel preamp. I may have been talked into a Tube Preamp by a couple of my audio buddies. Currently looking into a Conrad Johnson PV5 and a cheaper Quicksilver. Does anyone use a tube pre with their setups?

Also, I just hooked up my Parasound 1206 to a single La Scala and a single Forte I. Holy crap is that La Scala a big sounding speaker. The mid and bass using that Parasound absolutely stomps the Acurus and the Rotel is a little better than the Acurus. My setup was very bright before switching to the Parasound.

Does anyone use a tube pre with their setups?

I've had a tube preamp with my setup for a couple years (Peach).

I just recently swapped out pre's and inserted my Lexicon in lieu of the Peach.

My opinion is, that "OMG" moment you had when you heard the scale of the LaScalas vs the Forte would be another "OMG" moment if you were able to do the 2-way JubeScala routine (either K510 or huge K402) verses the standard LaScala. I realize there might be more involved...but trust me it's worth it.

Meaning.... in my opinion, converting to a JubeScala will give you a quicker larger bang for your buck than going to a tube preamp. This of course, presumes you already have decent stuff. I am not familar with your items.

I bought a set of Mid 80's La Scalas with the AL x-over and one had a blown tweeter. Is it worth putting a new diaghram in or do I just get some CT125's? If I go that way do I upgrade to a A4500 x-over or go back to an A or AA? I know it is subjective but if I replace the tweeters do I just go for the 4500 x-over.

Now for amplification. I only have SS amps because I am only recently getting into 2 channel audio. I have an Acurus A150, Rotel 993, B&K AV2500, and a Parasound 1206. The 1206 is for my 5 channel Forte HT setup.

From what I hear a tube amp in the 10 wpc range is the way to go with the Heritage line of speakers. I have read some good things about the 300b tube amps. I now understand that this stuff is far from inexpensive. Even though I have a lot of equipment I am very thrifty. Let's just say I won't lose money on any of my stuff for many years. I want a good tube amp setup for my La Scalas but don't want to go broke doing it.

If anyone here is in central Wisconsin I would love to hear a demo of La Scalas and some tube setups.

Also the Acurus, Rotel, and B&K could be offered in a trade for a tube amp.

Thanks for any info and help.

Congratulations on your new La Scalas! I'm a new La Scala owner myself, coming from Chorus IIs. They're definitely different -- better in some ways, not as good in others, but overall the difference is growing on me.

I have the CT125s in mine and I think they sound very nice. That would be a good place to start.

My biggest bit of advice would be to go slow. Get the tweeters working first, then spend some time with them. Your perception of their sound will change over time, different people will tell you different things, and everybody has their own idea about what sounds "better." Thing is, nobody will tell you what's specifically "better" unless you ask directed questions, so you can spend a lot of money following advice like "I changed to AAs from the ALs and it was a big improvement." Improvement in what? Be sure to identify just what perceived shortcoming you wish to correct. Listening habits matter too, so whether you're a rock and roll guy or a classical music guy or a jazz guy can influence your "best" crossover and amp combination. I promise you an 8 watt amp is not going to control that 15" woofer with the music I listen to the way I sometimes listen to it, but your applicaiton might differ, so my amp advice might not be good for you.