Home build LaScalas need new 15" "this is a repeat post I made a year ago"

I purchased a used pair of home made LaScala speakers and heard buzzing in one of the units. I tore into it and discovered that the surround sub was bad and needed replaced. So I tore into the other cabnet and discovered that it had a different sub in it. Now I don't know what to do.

I have AL-3 Klipsch origional cross overs and need replacement subs for these speakers!

The Speaker cabnet design is real cool and looks more like a horn than a LaScala. I was just planning on replacing the surround but now with two different types of subs in these cablents I think I would be better off just replacing them both. One of the subs was marked 8 ohm and I thought the AL-3 was a 4 ohm drive.

I need advice.

What subs do I purchase? Which speaker do I need so get high efficiency and great sound out of the AL-3 cross over. These are great speakers with awsome cabnets and work perfectly except for the subs. One of the speakers is a CTS and the other does not have a brand marking on it. Both speakers are 15" and there is plenty of room in the sub box to install a newer speaker with a much larger driver magnet.

I am not necessarly looking to keep these Klipsch origional and am open to upgrades that would improve on the origional sound.

I see all kinds of subs listed on eBay and they are for kids in cars. Not exactly what I am looking for or is it? These speakers have always been a little weak on the subs and I just don't know what to get..

Thanks for your help guys.

This time I have added photos of the speaker so you guys can see what I am working with! Last time it was requested but I didn't know how to add them on this board.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/frpallesen/Klipsch%20LaScala%20speaker/th_basewithsealremoved.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/frpallesen/Klipsch%20LaScala%20speaker/th_basewithtopremoved.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/frpallesen/Klipsch%20LaScala%20speaker/th_complete.jpg

am not necessarly looking to keep these Klipsch origional and am open to upgrades that would improve on the origional sound.

If by "sub" you mean the 15" woofer in there, I think you would probably be best served to get the Klipsch replacement or as many have done, contact Bob Crites for one of his.

I'm no expert but my understanding is there are few drivers that will work properly in there. Probably more that will NOT work properly than will.... so why mess with what works. Get the correct driver for the application and enjoy them.

Looks nice in the picture... is that an MC-30 on top?

[Y]

BEC for the woofers.

You might consider buying the correct midrange drivers too.

The AL3 is voiced for the K55M, but a K55V with solder connections will work well too.

Your driver looks like the Atlas SD70 (siren driver), and doesn't go much above 2.5Khz.

at321b.gif