Klipsch vs. def tech

the goods

I need some helpful advice.I have a Denon AVR 1801 receiver and I originally had all 5 quintets with the ksw10 sub for my main system. I found that it worked great for home theater but was lacking in the music dept. I ended up moving it to the bedroom. Instead of realizing the possibility that I may have just needed to upgrade to the klipsch synergy line for better music results I started looking at other brands. I ended up getting a good deal on the definitive technology pro cinema 100 system which has 5 matching speakers with larger midrange(5 & 1/4") and I got the prosub 100tl 10" sub with it(also def tech). The system sounds great especially the sub and the midrange is there but I find that when I listen to music in 5 channel stereo the sound sometimes sounds flat in the highs. I think I miss the horn tweeters. I'm thinking of selling this system except the sub and going with the SB2 for mains, the SC1 for the center and SS1 for surrounds.I don't need really large speakers due to room size. I think the klipsch sound is more crisp and clean and def tech is more refined and laid back in the highs.Do you guys think it is a good choice to go back to klipsch over the def tech? Def tech got rave reviews in home theater mag. I think I'm looking for more of an "in your face" sound in the highs for music. Any opinions on this are more than welcome, and sorry about the long post.

------------------

the goods

get the klipsch,keep the sub.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

FWIW, I have listened to a variety of DefTechs and the Klipsch speakers are clearly better - provided you have a sub to handle the bottom end. To my ears, the DefTechs highs seem very muffled.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

the goods, last year I purchased for my mother-in-law(with her money of course)the Definitive Technology ProCinema system you've described.She also has a SonyES(which I like after comparing other up-to-date offerings)receiver.To me,all things considered,the set-up is impressive.Your receiver may have some effect on the sound you're getting.You ARE running them small with sub cable from receiver sub out to sub, aren't you?

In my opinion,there is no one system that is great for both HT and music.It seems to me that you are upgrading one small step at the time.How about a little info on what you are looking to achieve,how much room space you have, and how much you want to spend.Best to spend your money once on something you'll be happy with for years.There are many good buys right here close to home at good prices.

To sum up, move up in the Klipsch line for future happiness.Let me know if I can help you.

Keith

Keith, I am running them the way you described. I'm not sure off hand the exact dimensions on my room. I want to say it's about 15' X 12' if i had to guess. I would say that what I am trying to achieve is just that little extra crispness to the highs on music. The mids are definitely there with the def techs but I feel there's too much midrange and not a real crisp high end. It could be that the Denon and DefTech don't mix well. I'm thinking that the Klipsch would give me that extra sizzle I'm looking for. As far as spending, I'm found a good deal on line where I can get the SC1, SB2, and SS1 surrounds for under $700. Of course I'm going to keep the DefTech sub. I haven't considered the reference line because they seem so much more expensive.

------------------

the goods

goods,the Klipsch will probably give you the sizzle you're looking for alright.Have you listened to the SB2's there at your local dealer?

There are lots of alternatives available if you look and choose carefully.I hate to steer you in another direction but look and listen before you spend your money.

What do you think of the KLF20's or 30's? Too big for your room? How about the Klipsch THX certified system of a few years back? The KT-LCR's for instance.

At the top of the page click 'products',then 'home audio',then 'classics'.Scroll down to find specs for the above models.

I've got a pair of KG5.5's(black)that I bought new in 95 that are in really good condition and a practically new KLF-C7 (couple hours use at most)that I'll sell reasonably.

Be aware that you'll probably not get a Klipsch warranty with most E-tailers.Look and read at the lower right hand corner of this page.

Don't dismiss the used market either.You'd be surprised what $700 will buy.Most of these guys here are like packrats(me too)and may have something you would like.Just ask.

Keith

Edit> The Reference line will give you more sizzle than the Synergy's!

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 03-27-2002 at 11:47 AM

Keith, just a little info. about my room setup. I have an awkward arrangement. There is a fireplace on the front wall so the TV is in the far right corner. The two front speakers are on stands on each side of the TV and the sub behind the TV. The couch is facing the fireplace and the 2 rears are wall mounted behind the listening area. Not an ideal setup but this is the only option I had.With the restricted corner space I don't think floorstanders will be an option as mains so I was looking at another bookshelf model and more surrounds that I can wall mount just like my current setup. I guess the bottom line is I want similar size but more crisp sound if that is possible. I have yet to hear the SB2. I may check them out this eve. or tomorrow.

------------------

the goods

Keith, when you say the synergy series will sound warmer than the reference series, do you mean "brighter" or do you mean less bright and more refined? I've heard the term warm sound thrown around by different people but not sure of the meaning. I tried to go audition the SB2 units at a local dealer but they didn't have any of them hooked up and there's only one Klipsch dealer in my town. Hopefully when I go back again I'll be able to listen to them. I checked out the RB3 units on the site you mentioned. Again, I still think the reference series is a little out of my budget.

------------------

the goods

the goods, OK I'll tell you exactly what I mean.Of course this would be my opinion.

If I wanted speakers that would give the great sizzle of a brush on a cimble,I would buy Reference.

I if wanted to hear the clean,clear ring of a piano note,I would buy Reference.

If I wanted a speaker that would give me a headache after watching the latest DVD release at reference levels,I would buy Reference.

If I wanted a speaker that was less bright than Reference,I would buy Synergy.

If I wanted a speaker to use for both HT and music,I would buy Synergy.

I'm not sure the Synergy bookshelf speakers you spoke of would give you ENOUGH of an improvement as opposed to the Def Tech to warrant the cost.You did mention crisp hi's.

You need to listen and decide for yourself.Hope this helps.Good luck.

Keith

www.vanns.com

www.onecall.com