Milli Vanilli moment with my CD player....

Coytee

This was almost embarassing although I have to admit I found that embarassment rather funny.

Yesterday, wife & I were staining the outside of the deck (pickets, hand rail....) so yours truely was standing 10 feet up on a ladder for the better part of 8 hours climbing up/down and all around. My feet & back are killing me.

Knowing we were going to be out there and wanting to finally hear the MWM's/402 play without the storms I had the other day, I dragged them out as well.

I put 5 cd's into the changer and hit shuffle.

Things were going great. I'm sure my wifes cousin (who lives next door taking care of her uncle) could probably hear the system as he was outside doing his own yard work.

The CD player is a Sony. I forget the model. Some kind of ES model I think?

As it was changing disks, it got stuck in a loop and would not find the next disk. I finally had to get off my ladder, take my shoes off, go inside without getting my dirty clothes on anything, eject the disks and put others in.

Later on, as the others were playing, the disk went "Milli Vanilli" again and got stuck in a repetitive loop. We were right in the middle of doing the fascia board so I couldn't stop (this is where it was funny to me because to someone not knowing what we were doing, unable to fix the audio problem, it sounded like we were listening to some really strange music)

Anyways.... so the cd player got caught in this "skip" mode a couple times during the day. It has never done this before and I've never had another player do somethign like this.

I'm deducing that I have one of two probable issues:

1. Something is wrong with the deck and it freaks out every now & then.....perhaps time to fix (replace) it
2. Perhaps dirt in the laser keeping it from figuring out where the next track is or something like that.

Anyone ever have a CD player go Milli Vanilli on them and if so, what was your fix?

I'm hoping it's just dirt in the laser or something easy to fix like that.

I had a Sony ES series changer that would skip and not pick up the CD. I made some calls and was told it was most likely the magnetic"motors" which control the laser. Not sure though I traded in as a defective item so not sure what the real problem was.

Never owned a Sony ES cd unit, but had one skipping problem with an economy Sony single disc. After working for years it had a mind of it's own and wouldn't track right. Skipped here and there sporadically. Cleaning the laser's lense with a Q-Tip and Isopropyl Alcohol did the trick.