?'s for the group on a basic HT system...

BIG BLUE

Ok guys,

Here's the deal, I've been a Klipsch owner for 17+ years. From the day I walked into the local Klipsch dealer and heard the Cornwalls I knew I had to have them. Well at the time college seemed like a better investment so I "settled" on a pair of Kg4's until I could stash away the money for the Cornwalls.

So, here I sit many years later with two different two-channel systems and the urge to finally get with the times and create an affordable HT system. The Cornwall II's (that I purchased new in '87) are in the main listening area and the Kg4's are in the finished basement and are begging to be a part of my first "experimental" HT system (nothing fancy just functional with a smile).

Now, since I've found this site I've read many different posts on HT and matching speakers, and those of you with the Heritage line I'm sure can point me in the right direction. I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-596 two channel receiver and am happy with the sound, before that I was pushing the Kg4's with an old Denon DRA-555. The Yamaha delivers enough power to play at high levels, and even though it does seem a bit "bright" at times I like the punch that it delivers to the Kg4's.

Now a little about the listening room. It's 14x24x8h with the equipment on the 14 foot wall. The couch will be about 14 foot away from the TV/Speakers (imagine it "dividing the room") so the other 10ft behind the couch will not be useable space.

With this limited space, and really not a choice to have a set of speakers on the floor I'm thinking of hanging the rears from the ceiling. Any suggestions on this? Maybe the RS-3's? How would a pair of the Quintets match? For the front center I'd like to find an Acadamy but that may be tough to find. Any thoughts on a good center match with the Kg4's?

Also, I'm considering going with the Outlaw 1050 to power this configuration. Will this drive the low-Ohm Kg4's or will I end up with a hot plate for a receiver? I've read many good things about it and for the price and since it will the "basement" system I just want an AV receiver that will deliver a punch like the Yamaha and be versitle.

What sub would match well? I'd like to stay around the $500-$700 range here. Last but not least, in what order would you purchase the speakers. I realize that I need all 4 to complete the system, but would you spend more on the center and suffice with less $ surrounds or just the opposite? And how does the sub fit into the equation I'll be interested in hearing responses from those Kg4 owners that have built their system up from there.

Thanks for any and all input. I realize that there are many possibilities and no-one is going to agree on the exact system, I'm just curious as to how those with a similar set-up arrived at their conclusion and final decision.

Sorry for the book, thanks in advance,

BIG BLUE

i just skimmed your post, i just wanted to let you know about this page on my site, may help if you just feel like wondering about the null spots and peak areas in your room... maybe you don't give a BO$E for this info, but it is new to the site thanks to j-matlotky and i thought that maybe you might want it.

http://www.lotsui.net/soundwise/id91.htm

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Hey BB - I started my HT with a pair of KG4s, as well. I suggest a KV-3 center (also discontinued) if you can't find an Academy. Fortunately, they are more readily available at reasonable prices. The KV series was designed for the KG series (except the KV-4, which was designed for the Epic series).

I used SS-1s for the surrounds, and I think they would be adequate for your use with the KG-4s. I have mine mounted on the ceiling. Not sure you could safely mount RS-3s from the ceiling without putting a safety net under them!! Smile.gif

For a sub, get a SVS 20-39PCi. Best $650 you'll spend on a sub (www.svsubwoofers.com). Or, get a 20-39CS+ and drive it with your "soon to be unused" Yammy.

Which order to buy, and how much you spend, depends on how long you figure to have this setup. If you plan to use it for a while, I'd spend the most on the center channel (to get a proper match for the KG-4s), then the rears. The order, for me, would be rears first, then sub, then center. (You can get away with a phantom center as long as your listening is mostly on-axis.)

Hope this was some help!

Doug

------------------

My System

You are in the same boat I was in when I started. I think your first step needs to be the receiver, otherwise you won't be able to take advantage of the extra speakers.

I purchased an RC-3 with the logic that I was going to be replacing the KG-4s with RF-3s in the future and putting the KG-4s back in a two channel system. It has worked out pretty well for me.

I used a pair of smaller Infinity's that I had sitting around for surrounds since voice matching is less vital here.

The sub came last for me. I didn't have much to spend so I built mine and for about $250 I got about $800 worth of sub. Plus it was actually pretty fun to do.

-Scottcwm16.gif

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Infinity Reference 1 Surrounds

Sony DB830

Blue-

I second just about everything Doug said. If you plan on using the KG-4s, then snag a KV-3 from eBay or other board members. You should be able to get one for about $200 or less. The KV-4 was made for Epic series, and the Academy was made for the Quartet/Forte/Chorus line. There is a difference between all three. I have had experience with them and will be posting my thoughts this weekend.

As far as surrounds, look for a pair of KG 1.2/1.5s. I currently have two pair of those as surrounds and rear center with my Forte II/Academy HT and they do quite well. The KG 1.5s are pre-drilled for the Omnimount system so you should be in like Flint there. Those run about $150 or so on eBay.

For the sub, I can't recommend the PW2200 enough, especially if you can find it for less than retail. I bought mine for $800, but others here on the board have been under $700. That sub has plenty of punch to keep up with your KG-4s, and is still quite musical. It has 250W amp built-in and a 15" woofer. Good stuff! And SV Subwoofers have a great following. I just can't speak from personal experience.

Good luck!