cheapest acceptable sub

seventeenmonkeys

Talon, remember about shipping, taxes and duty fees.

The Paradigm can be had for 670 plus tax here in Quebec at a Stereo Plus Store (that's how much I paid for it) and yes, it is the best value in Canadian subwoofing.

SVS cannot offer better value at the same price point, as their least expensive amplified subwoofer, the 25-31PCi retails for 549 US plus tax plus customs plus shipping.

You could probably get two PW-2200 for that price with the CAN dollar as it is now, and 15% tax and almost 15% duty (last time I had something come from the States to here)... which would most likely destroy the SVS offering.

Now I don't know about their higher-end offerings, as I am less familiar with local high-end sub prices.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

When I lived in England, I wanted to buy a pair of KEF's for my room. So, I looked on line to see how much they were in the USA, $500. So, I thought they would be dirt cheap at a store 30 MILES away from the distribution center. I go to the store and they are 500 POUNDS!!! That is almost $800!!! It is cheaper to buy British made speakers in the USA than the UK.

What idiots!

Same situaltion like in Canada, in Australia ($600 US made speakers were: the equivalent of $1,100!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Tom: If he is ambitious, I would say:

GO FOR IT!!!s>

It would not only be fun, but you would get a great sub to boot! I have eyed that sub more than once...

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Talon-TSI:

ONE QUESTION: Do you have friends/family, or a Klipsch buddy in the US near you? I have no idea how far up you are, but order it, have it delivered in the US, take a mini vacation, and get the sub. Just play it cool going through customs...

------------------

Kenratboy:

Have you been through customs recently? Its a little different now obviously. I'm right near the Detroit/Windsor border, but saying you have nothing to declare, while you have a huge oil drum of a sub in the car, while you're staring at the national gurds Hummer... Dunno if I could keep cool.

Are you implying that the SVS subs (the PCi version) are that much better than the paradigm to warrant this?

Hey, just act like a stereotypical Canadian:

Eh, seen any Mooses, eh? I'm just bringing this moose call through, eh! THATS VERY MEAN, SORRYWink.gif

Anyway, the "Boy Scouts" won't shoot you. Just pull the woofers so they can see inside the box (as in cabinet) and go for it. Come on, I bet people bring all sorts of crazy, big crap through everyday. To be honest, I don't know what you look like, but a white gut with a Canadian accent will probably draw NO suspicion. They may ask you what it is, but if you have receits, instructions, etc., they should let you through.

I have been through customs in China, they were through, but nice. I can't imagine you would have too much trouble, as long as the woofers were out.

------------------

Rat boy you mean the mounties are not so political correct that they actual profile not like the random checks of 4 year olds or grandmas here in the states?

LOL Thanks pretty boy wille. Your legacy lives on in the worst ways here in the states. LOL

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Forrest, it is rediculos not being able to stop a suspicious person. IT IS COMMON SENCE!!!

------------------

Yea agreed Rat Boy. Tell that to the US Feds or better

yet the liberal PC pinkos who are tying their hands. W

needs to clean every one of them out of the Executive Branch. Trouble is he hired a damn Liberal for Secretary Of Transportation. Big MIstake.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Tuna: We sometimes disadree on topics, but I see eye-to-eye with you on that one. I have not and will not tolerate crap and whatever is PC this week. There are stories about cops who have "seen" a suspicious individual, and due to regulations, cannot even TALK to that person unless they do somthing major to cause real proof. It is a big game. The problem is that if you give SOME (like 1 in 10000) people like cops unlimited power, they will abuse it and hide behind the badge. Last time I checked, thats what lawyer's are forFrown.gif. For airport/border security, I would sacrifice a little freedom for COMMON SENCE POLICING! Not EVERYONE has to follow the same game plan.

Oh well, could be worse, a lot worse...

------------------

Tom: fair enoughSmile.gif!!!

------------------

Audiosource SW-15 is about the best you can do for that money if you haven't decided on anything yet. You can find them under $200. Just make sure you do the polyfill mod like most people do with this sub and it will be much better than the popular Sony SAWM40. I would also recommend buying some sort of sound dampening sheets to apply to the inside walls like dynamat, but I think I've seen similar stuff at Parts Express .

Do this and you'll have phenomenal bass for the price. I helped my friend do these same modifications and results were great. You'll feel an intense feeling of satisfaction because it will seem as if you stole this thing for it's price. The only other thing I've found to give me the same feeling is my SVS 20-39cs plus.

Hope this looks ok, it's the first time I've tried to use the insert hyperlink feature.

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of 'ACTIVE' Subs. Ebay has subs coming up all the time. There are DIY projects on the "WEB", if you are into that sort of thing. Check out the consumer electronic show winners. Since this is a Klipsch Forum, I won't mention names, but , this outfit has some very nice kits or plans and hardware that are very cost conscience. What the hey ...(VMPS),

Do a little homework...and get yourself a piece of eguipment, not a buzz box.

"Do a little homework...and get yourself a piece of eguipment, not a buzz box."

So the Velodyne HGS18,Revel B15 and Aerial SW12 are buzz boxes? HA HA HA Powered SVS are also buzz "boxes"? LOL

You can tell this to a newbie

TheEAR(s) Now theears

SVS's pci series is great for the money. I just ordered a SVS pci 25-51 for $569.91 shipped. From what I've read, they are just about the ultimate bang for the buck. Very precise, although they are tall.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

• 3 weeks later...

well, i took the plunge this weel and bought the pw2200 on monday. my dealer did not carry the sub in store so they gotta order it from the company. they said it could take up to two weeks. i'm already trying to figure out where to put this thing and how i can shorten the breakin period for this sub. i'm thinking about maybe using the lfe test thing on my yamaha rxv1200 receiver, it can procuce a tone down to 33hz. maybe if i leave that on for a couple of hours, that should do the trick? or do i need to play a lot bassy music so that the sub gets a taste of more frequecies.

How did you guys break in your subs? i read that some people it takes up to a month to properly break this thing in!!!

anyways if you guys have any suggestions on how you set up a sub for the best results they will be greatly appreciated.