Another Heritage (LS, Belle, KHorn) Center Speaker Solution

Hello to all,

I have been enjoying my new set up for about two weeks now and I just wanted to give back to this wonderful community, and share my own solution to the LS, Belle/KHorn, Home Theater, center speaker dilemma. Thanks to all the info here, and to all who answered my questions. First the pictures. Final look...for now.

post-34984-13819599271372_thumb.jpg

post-34984-13819617595852_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Although I now have a center channel that can keep up with the mains without the use of separate outboard amplifcation, the timbre is not an exact match, but it is definitely of unmistakable LS lineage. I assume the woofer compromise to be the primary cause. However, I wonder whether its location (direct center and on the floor), use of newer/different components (AA network vs AL, Atlas PD-5VH vs Eminence's K-55) compared to my L/R, Type LSFBTG 1990 LS's mains have anything to do with it. It might be time to update the components of my mains.

The new center sounds brighter, but no harsher than the mains. I hooked it up on the right channel and played some of my personal reference material and it sounded like a regular LS with cleaner highs and a bit shy in the bass department. Perhaps the cleaner or brighter highs might be direclty attributable to the woofer compromise, plus other differences mentioned above.

That's an interesting idea! I had one customer have me make a single crossover with a load resistor in place of the woofer for a center channel. He simply used none! Is that cabinet the woofer is mounted in an off-the-shelf box intended for a car sub-woofer? It looks like it might be.

AL K.

Nice catch, you are absolutely correct on the car sub-woofer box. This is the exact box I got:

http://everycaraudio.com/view_product.php?itemno=HBX15ANTCM&HBX-15ANTCM

However, I wonder whether its location (direct center and on the floor), use of newer/different components (AA network vs AL, Atlas PD-5VH vs Eminence's K-55) compared to my L/R, Type LSFBTG 1990 LS's mains have anything to do with it. It might be time to update the components of my mains.

The K-55 wasn't made by Eminence, and the Atlas should be a good match. I would consider upgrading/changing from the AL to AA on your mains. That should help a LOT.

That bass cab won't give you as low a bass as you would get out of your LS (can't believe I'm saying that...), but you don't really need that for your center.

Bruce